Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system reads burned data DVDs as blank CDs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teiresias

teiresias

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

I have been trying to burn data DVDs in Nero 6 to backup files, however, I recently discovered that the burning seems not to have worked. I performed a speed test first, then simulated the burning, then actually burned, then verified the data before exiting all came out OK! But when I took out then reinserted the full DVD-R in the DVD-ROM drive, Windows identified it as a blank CD! I have several DVDs that I burned before which the system reads fine as full DVD-Rs; do you think the problem could be with something 'multisession' or whatever for an option on Nero, the new brand/stack of DVD-Rs I've been using lately, my actual hardware/disk drive, user error, or something else? It seems there are other options for backup but irregardless I would like to be able to burn data DVD-Rs again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

You don't want to create multisession disks...and you want to completely close out the disk (nothing else can be written to it after it's burned).

I also use Nero 6 and I believe that...if you put the CDs in the burner and then open Nero 6, should be able to see the files you burned. Then you will be able to change from multisession (select No Multisession) and then burn it, electing to close the disk out and using Disk-At-Once.

Make sure that you have elected DVD, rather than CD initially.

Louis

#3 teiresias

teiresias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Ah, okay. I just noticed something else that's weird as soon as I put the blank DVD-R in the drive, the computer recognizes it as a blank CD (before burning) rather than a blank DVD-R. I have been burning and burning and no DVD-R burning has worked successfully however, I have a couple of older burned DVD-Rs from Nero 6 and the same type of DVD-R that did work; the only thing I can think of is that those contain media (audio and/or video) whereas all the ones I've been burning lately don't - when I insert the burned DVD-R it detects a bunch of different file types rather than a blank CD and asks me what I want to do; I will see what happens if I add a few audio files to my data DVD burning. If it still doesn't work, I have no clue what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users