Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspected Malware on my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 prent327

prent327

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hi, this is my first posting here, and I thank anyone in advance for help offered. I've discovered what seems very likely to be a virus or malware. When I conduct a google search and then click on any of the results, I get rerouted to a variety of junk shopping websites. Clicking 'back' will take me to the website I was intending to visit. In response I ran a malware scan using webroot software that quarantined a handful of files, but this hasn't helped. I've installed hijackthis, but am now awaiting a more sophisticated user than myself to guide me through the results of the log. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

What security programs (i.e. anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware) are currently installed and running in the background on your PC? Do you have any on-demand programs installed? Are they all fully updated?
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#3 prent327

prent327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

I have McAfee Security Center, but the subscription expired for that, so I don't think it's operating at all. I just recently installed Webroot Spy Sweeper, but only the version that is designed to detect malware, not viruses. And I'm not sure what you mean by on-demand programs.

#4 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

"On-Demand" programs are not running (e.g. scanning) in the background but rather you have to run them manually. It sounds like your MSC is not up to date so let's scan for viruses and malware.

1) Disable McAfee.

2) Visit Trend Micro HouseCall and run a free scan. Post the results here if anything is found. If no nasties are found...

3) Download and install the free program SUPERAntiSpyware. Scan and post the results here if anything is found. If no nasties are found...

4) Download and install the free program Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Scan and post the results here if anything is found.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#5 prent327

prent327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

I ran out Trend Micro House Call, but it stalled out. Then I tried unsuccessfully installing SUPERAntiSpyware. Finally I got Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to work, but it reported that I had no malicious programs. This can't be right, as the original problem is still occurring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users