Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2000 system no longer boots

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

I have a bizarre and frustrating situation. My recent installation of Windows 2000 has gone awol. I changed my CPU fan and heatsink due to the noise of the old fan, and when I tried to start the computer again, it hung during the Windows splash screen, the moving dark blue band stopped dead. After a few more trial reboots, I got as far as the Windows log in box... once! Unfortunately as I entered my password and pressed enter, it hung... I could see the cursor was no longer flashing. Now, if I try to boot it, it goes to a blue "Stop" screen which says "Inaccessible boot device". I tried the Windows CD in manual repair mode, but no success. I then tried the Recovery Console feature, but when I entered my Administrator password, it said my password was invalid! I only have one password which I never forget, and I checked caps lock, which was off.

There appears to be a file sticking during the boot process. The MBR cannot be at fault, because it would say "Missing operating system" or something similar. I have taken the drive out and put it into another computer as a secondary drive, so I can at least browse through it unbooted, back up my precious files, and look for errors. I have run an error check which has not found anything wrong.

At this stage I am not convinced that the fault lies with this drive. It may be a problem with the motherboard, CPU, or RAM. I know I put too much heatsink compound on and had to scrape some of it off, but the CPU is still working, as I can scroll through BIOS screens and run the Windows 2000 installation CD... even though it doesn't work properly.

So, what is stopping the drive from booting? :thumbsup:

(Athlon XP2000, 1662MHz, 512MB RAM)
PC1 Athlon XP 1662MHz, 512MB RAM, Windows 2000, 4 hdd (40+80+500+500GB).
PC2 Intel 8088 4.77MHz, 640kB RAM, MS DOS 5.0, 30MB hdd.
PC3 AMD Athlon XP 1666MHz, 512MB RAM, Windows 2000, 2 hdd (20+500GB).
PC4 Intel Celeron 400MHz, 256MB RAM, OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect + Windows fw3.11, 545MB hdd.
PC6 Intel Celeron 700MHz, 384MB RAM, PC LinuxOS2007, 13GB hdd.
PC7 Intel Celeron 1700MHz, 256MB RAM, Windows 2000, 40GB hdd.
PC8 2xIntel Pentium Pro 200MHz, 64MB RAM, Windows NT4, 2 hdd (4.3+1.9GB)
PC9 Intel 486SX2 66MHz, 20MB RAM, MS DOS 6.22 + Windows fw3.11, 800MB hdd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Since typing the above...
I relocated the drive back to it's home system and I found that a little progress has in fact been made. While my drive was in the other PC as a secondary, I removed a Tamrack Artiscan 2400FS driver file (USB2400.dll) which wasn't working. I wasn't sure if that was the cause of the trouble, but I removed it just in case. I reinstalled the drive in the system it had come out of, and booted once more. This time it booted a little further. I still got a bsod, but the message was now:

STOP: C0000263 {Driver Entry Point Not Found}

The \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\FLTMGR.SYS device driver could not locate the entry point IoGetDeviceAttachmentBaseRef in driver Ntoskernel.exe

After this I loaded repair console from the CD and it now accepted my password! Strange... I then booted Windows in safe mode and got to a desktop. Unfortunately I could not find anything out of the ordinary and nothing immediately outstanding. Nothing had a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. Not knowing what to look for or what to do next, I rebooted in normal mode, straight back to the same bsod. So, progress has been made, but I'm not quite there yet.

Edited by Tommy in Scotland, 25 February 2009 - 06:59 PM.

PC4 Intel Celeron 400MHz, 256MB RAM, OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect + Windows fw3.11, 545MB hdd.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

Try a repair install with your Win2K disk
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

OK I've tried that, firstly as a fast (automatic) repair, then as a manual repair, which I expect is the same process except that it asks for user input before doing the important tasks. Unfortunately if I try to boot in normal mode I still get the bsod error. Is there a specific repair procedure in the Recovery Console for this error? Last known good configuration doesn't seem to work either.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

The repair option replaced Windows system files - and doesn't fix anything else.
In the Recovery Console, have you run:
FIXMBR
FIXBOOT
CHKDSK /R

The error message seems to state that it couldn't locate ntoskrnl.exe - as such this is either a missing file, a hard disk issue, or a file system issue.
The 3 commands above will fix most file system errors but you should still run a bootable diagnostic on the hard drive in order to rule out that possibility.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

OK I've tried these suggestions from the repair console but it hasn't succeeded. I still boot to the same FLTMGR.SYS error. I can get around it by booting into safe mode, but that doesn't tell me where the problem is. The very fact that safe mode bypasses driver-loading procedures means there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and no way of telling what process is preventing normal booting.

I also ran a Regitry Repair program, which found and fixed 221 errors while in safe mode, but that also did nothing to sort the boot problem.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:03 AM

Now you've done it! B) You'll have to suffer through my registry cleaner canned speech:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:( Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:huh: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:thumbsup: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

OK, now back to business...

Did the CHKDSK /R in the Recovery Console fix any errors? If so, let it run for a while and try it again - repeated errors will suggest a hard drive issue rather than a file system issue. Hard drives die at differing rates - some die slowly, while others bite the dust with no notice at all.

Since it boots OK to Safe Mode, but not to normal mode - it's most likely hardware or a driver that's causing the issues (although there are other things that load in Safe Mode).

The first place to look is in your Event Viewer (go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)
Check the system logfiles for errors that happened when the BSOD happened, and any that occur just before it. As this is a boot error there may not be much - but the presence of any errors during a boot to Safe Mode may point a finger at any contributing factors.

#8 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

OK I've checked the Event Viewer logs, and most of the errors appear to be network-related. This is presumably because I am starting safe mode without networking support. I don't know why Windows would create an error log of services which safe mode do not start. It seems illogical, but then this is Microsoft after all.

A very good suggestion to look in the Event Viewer, but I'm afraid it does not show anything of significance.

The simple fact of the matter is I have spent two solid days trying to solve this bsod error. I wonder how long it would have taken just to reinstall Windows and all my software! :thumbsup: However, I have the feeling that it should not be necessary to reinstall... this must be a simple error with a simple cause and a simple fix. The frustrating thing is finding the cause and finding the fix... if I reinstall Windows, how do I know the fault won't just reappear? I have no way of knowing whether it is hardware or software related, all I know is the FLTMGR.SYS file fails to locate the appropriate entry point in the NTOSKRNL.

I have safe mode up and running, so there cannot be anything fundamentally wrong with my OS installation, I suppose logically it has to be to do with drivers that are loaded during the white "Splash Screen" phase of bootup.

Should I reinstall drivers? Could there be a driver conflict?

Edited by Tommy in Scotland, 26 February 2009 - 09:26 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

It's time to get a bit more aggressive (IMO).

I'd suggest that you try the advice in this topic to analyze the BSOD events: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
Copy/paste the results into your next post and we'll see if it'll help us to identify the driver that's at fault.

#10 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

OK John, you are helping me more than anyone else on this problem and I'm very grateful. I'm afraid however there are no dmp files in the main WINNT directory, but there is ONE file in the minidump dir... but it dates from well before the FLTMGR crisis, so I decided to ignore it in case it just threw us further off the scent.

I have now restarted in "safe mode with networking", so I can access that system from this PC. I won't have to copy stuff over to it with floppy discs now.

I admit I am fumbling in the dark a bit with this error. I entered it into Google, but none of the search results really provided a solution. At this stage I feel that there is an errant driver file blocking the boot process. If drivers are bypassed when starting in safe mode then that seems to confirm that I need to isolate a problem driver. Finding it, however, could be a big problem.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

We're getting way out of my area of expertise here. I haven't used Win2K since 2000/2001 (when XP went into beta). I've just installed it in a Virtual Machine on my system, but haven't even updated it to SP4 yet.

That being said, this is a very dangerous procedure - but if successful it should identify the offending driver. The drawbacks are that the system may not be bootable in order to reverse the changes that this test makes. Also, since I'm not familiar with this tool in Win2K, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to work it properly.

The program that I'm talking about will attempt to force a system crash by verifying each selected driver as it is loaded. The end result is that, if successful, the offending driver will be loaded and will crash the system - giving identifying information about the issue.

So, you can get a BSOD when the driver loads - that's good. But if it BSOD's before you can get into Windows (Safe or Normal mode), then you can't stop the program from running easily (it'll require work in the Recovery Console which I'm not familiar with). Also, it can in some cases, point to the wrong driver - this depends on how the drivers and Windows inter-relate (not much that we can do about that).

After saying all that, if you still want to give it a go, go to Start...Run...and type in "verifier.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Click on the Settings tab, then click on each non-Microsoft driver and then click on "Verify" (if you do all the drivers, it'll bog your system down - so just start with the non-Microsoft ones for now).
Then click on Exit and reboot.
Try to log into normal mode and don't be surprised to see a BSOD. If it logs into normal mode, keep using the system until a BSOD occurs.
Then reboot and locate the memory dump file. Use this topic to generate an analysis of the memory dump: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
Copy/paste the results into your next post for us to have a look at.

#12 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

OK before I do anything here is the exact bsod screen.

Attached Files

#13 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

OK, I went into the Verifier program, I selected all non-Microsoft drivers, and clicked Apply, then rebooted. It brought me back to exactly the same bsod as in the photo, and there are no new .dmp files on the system.

I have found another error, however. My Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator program keeps bringing up "Windows Installer" every time I right click on a drive or try to access a system function (like Search for Files & Folders). I am now going to attempt to remove Roxio. I seem to remember this software causing exactly the same problems on this computer (PC3). It used to bring up Windows Installer at all sorts of odd times. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and it's never done it on PC3 since. :thumbsup:

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Do you have a pagefile?
Is Windows set to create a memory dump when it crashes?

#15 Tommy in Scotland

Tommy in Scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yes, and yes.

Unfortunately it's not so much a crash as a fail-to-load.

When I removed the redundant USB2400.dll from System32 it improved matters from the original hang during bootup. I'm convinced the problem is a driver file, but I'm not sure what to look for. I could remove all non-Microsoft drivers from the System32 folder, but I wouldn't know which ones they were at a glance. It would be like looking for a collection of heavily disguised needles in a haystack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users