Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 imrik

imrik

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

If I'm in the wrong forum, sorry. If I'm the correct one, help! First post.

I am doing some work for a guy with his own website (but he has no clue how to maintain it), for some reason he asked me, and I'm not too hot on it either, but I've hit a real problem. In the past I've (successfully) used Dreamweaver MX2004 to upload new photos to the site. I have re-sized them in Photoshop first, put them into the correct folder, connected to the Server (using Site, Manage Sites and all that) and great, it worked. Not today. So I called the host, who informed me that they had changed the FTP Address, login and password (nice of them to tell me!!), so I changed all that. Connected ok, inserted the new image, saved it and tried to upload. I now get "An FTP error occured - cannot put gallery.html. Access denied, the file may not exist or there could be a permission problem". I've tried what little I know, but with no luck. This is exactly what I used to do, last time was 3 weeks ago, so what has it changed?

If anyone has a clue, I'd be really grateful, I have a feeling the host has changed more than he is letting on. But the computer is very soon going to see if it can fly! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Yes. You likely have a permissions problem. Call the provider and tell them the error. They will verify that your ftp settings are correct, and the folder that you are writing to on the server has the correct permissions.

#3 imrik

imrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Many thanks. I'll call them tomorrow and hopefully clear it up.

#4 DA8686

DA8686

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Yes. You likely have a permissions problem. Call the provider and tell them the error. They will verify that your ftp settings are correct, and the folder that you are writing to on the server has the correct permissions.

I agree with this. Also, if you have access to the hosting login, you may be able to change/check the directory permissions after logging in.

#5 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

This could have to do with the size and/or amount of images you're attempting to upload at the same time and the amount of server space available or traffic allowed.

I work with multiple sites, located on two different servers. Most of my sites are school athletic team sites, so I'm constantly uploading huge photo galleries.

The photos (and their thumbnails) that I upload to a Yahoo server (unlimited space & traffic) upload without a hitch. I can FTP up an entire folder of over 200 photos and away they go.

The photos (and their thumbnails) that I upload to an AT&T server (limited space & traffic) give me the error message you state when I attempt to upload more than 20 photos at a time. I have to upload galleries in stages to avoid a "permissions" error message.

Check with your host to find out the plan you're on. This could be part of the problem, and try to upload your galleries in small amounts to see if resolves the issue. I know that worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users