Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinMe: Opening Folders.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aarhus2004

aarhus2004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:43 AM

Hello,

This is my first post.

I consider myself a beginner because after using my first-ever computer for four years I, all too often, feel like one.

I have posted about my difficulty in another forum to which I belong. One response on that forum, and only one, seemed to offer a solution. I will copy the substance of that response here:

"solved?... errr, here's a tip, move mouse pointer to very edge of each edge in thw window and pull them to the size you want, then hold shift key down while you close it via 'x' in upper right... when you open it, it should open maximised... works in IE and XP regular subfolder windows anyways".

I have several desktop short-cuts to folders in different partitions on my HDD. I wish them all to open full screen or close.

The tip (above) worked for a period of 24hrs. (approx). These folders then reverted to opening, each in the same way, to a much smaller size.

I guess I am a maintenance 'freak'. And on a daily, even hourly, basis. I set one of the folders to the near full screen size, I then did every item of maintenance I could think of, checking after each to see if that particular folder had reverted to the small window size. It had not. But it will - eventually.

My O/S is the result of a format/install a few days ago. It is fully updated (critically). I use I.E.6.

Some of my freeware. AVG. Spybot. SpywareBlaster. Lavasoft. HijackThis. jv16pt. RegSeeker. Delindex. ScanDefrag. StartUpCPL and Monitor.

Help much appreciated.
Ben.

Uses Windows Millennium and loves it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:47 AM

you can double click the top edge of your folder when it is open and it will go to full screen and it will remember it that way the next time you open it. If this is what your asking?

#3 aarhus2004

aarhus2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

Hello brunt,

Thanks for the response.

I am aware of that option. Yesterday the folders behaved! This morning they had reverted.

Is this (your suggestion) something I do just once? Will that setting, as far as you know, be remembered by Windows? Will that memory survive all maintenance? Will it survive everything short of a format install?

When it is made is a registry entry created? I do a lot of Registry cleaning. Might such a registry entry be offered for deletion?

What I am saying is why won't my folders automatically open full-screen for ever?!

Thanks.
Ben.

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

Becuase somtimes when you mess with settings everything reverts back to the way "it" was. Nothing is FORVER in Windows. I will look for a registry hack for it but seems a little harsh to get a window to stay open full screen!

Edit well while looking at myt own folder I found this... go into a folder..go to folder options..view...and check remeber each folders veiw setting. then click apply.Then click apply to ALL folders But make sure your folder is maximized before doing this. Hope this helps you.

#5 aarhus2004

aarhus2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:23 PM

Hello brunt.

Thanks for the response.

"go into a folder..go to folder options..view...and check remeber each folders veiw setting. then click apply.Then click apply to ALL folders But make sure your folder is maximized before doing this."

I have been at this for many weeks! Using the View... in Folder Options was what got me started! Apparently View' in Windows speak refers only to how the contents are displayed - Large/Small icons and so on.

For the time being all my folders, on the desktop and elsewhere (in Explorer e.g.), are opening to full-screen. I will have to attend to what I do each day to see if I can pick-up on what might change that.

If I ever find out, I promise to post.

Cheers.
Ben.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users