Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too much protection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hello,
Is it possible to have to muchf protection on pc?On my Vista I have built in firewall and windows defender.In addition, I have AVG 8 free,Superantispyware and Malwarebytes antimalware.Many times while I was on internet, AVG and windows defender simultaneously blocked pc-s blood suckers!!Since few days ago I added a superantispyware because of the reccomendations on this site.Also,Gibson Research tested all my ports,with Shields up!more than 1200,and my pc received a stealth!
But I need your opinion,
Thanks,Aku
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

You can probably have as much "On Demand" protection as you want but it is generally not good practice to have two of the same type programs (e.g. AVs, FWs, etc.) running resident in the background because of the potential for conflicts.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:49 AM

Had a customer at work yesterday with TrendMicro Internet Security and Norton Antivirus 2009 installed - it was painfully slow booting and operating.
Uninstalled the Trend Micro (an older version) and it was working fine!

Antiviruses fight each other for control of the files that they're scanning - never use more than one at a time.
Firewalls implement rules a bit differently - so don't use more than one. A conflict my prevent you from connecting to the internet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

Real-time scanners, as some of the above posters have stated, do conflict with each other. It is unnecessary to have two real-time scanners. However, on-demand scanners I do not think are problematic. I wouldn't suggest running multiple scans at once, though, as this might cause similar conflicts as with real-time scanner battles. ;) On-demand scanners work just like any other program, and turning them on whenever you need them is helpful to cut down on CPU usage when you are attempting to do something else on the PC. I personally use Ahnlab AV, SpySweeper, and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The first two mentioned run real-time in the background. since they are of different strctures and searching for (sort of) different things, they haven't conflicted for me. Not sure if it is a good idea to run both, but my CPU idle usage (with about 15 other programs I have running at once) is under 7%. So, no worries.

And--not sure if this is the place to ask--is SuperAnti-Spyware that great? I had it, ran it some, didn't find anything. Removing it, however, was a terrible experience. It was almost as bad as removing the Zone Alarm free firewall. Locked files, stubborn uninstalling, had to Google numerous times to find the problem. Even after restart, some files didn't let go (especially .dll's that didn't seem to be used by anything EXCEPT SAS, which at that time was uninstalled).
Sorry, sort of a rant. Delete that if you'd like.

Edited by HamSandwich, 26 February 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#5 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

...is SuperAnti-Spyware that great? I had it, ran it some, didn't find anything. Removing it, however, was a terrible experience. It was almost as bad as removing the Zone Alarm free firewall.

SUPERAntiSpyware is a highly-regarded program with excellent detection and removal capabilities. I have experienced no problems in the past when uninstalling it prior clean upgrades either.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#6 akuigla

akuigla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

So far AVG and antispyware are running happily side-by-side.Is it possible that in future they may collide with each other?If anybody knows, please let me know.Thank you
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

Well, I honestly doubt it. They are on different sides of the PC Protection. I think having 2 NON-REAL-TIME Anti-Viruses isn't a bad idea, even though most likely it isn't needed. SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware are two highly regarded Anti-Spyware removal softwares on this board.

You can never be too safe, but refrain from using 2 of each.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users