Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't logon to XP Buffer overrun Problem in winlogon.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

When I try to boot up my P.C and it comes to the Windows is starting up I get the following message:

Title: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Error: Buffer overflow detected.
Progroam :\??\C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state and has been terminated.

Then you can only press ok and it freezes on the windows is starting up so i cannot logon.

I cannot logon in safe mode either, and have tried last known good configuration.

I've googled and googled but keep getting other unrelated topics.

I've also replace winlogon.exe with another one from c:\windows\i386

what else can i try please help!

my pc is packard bell 512mb ram windows xp sp 3

before this happened i had installed 1 program, uninstalled another, had been browsing the web and had also installed 1 windows update before the computer shutdown. then i restart and i get this :thumbsup:

I really need to get on the pc asap

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CreeDo

CreeDo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

I checked google and didn't see much except... you're not running any cisco software I assume?
The other suggestion is that if you're running a cracked version of XP you might be in for problems like this,
and winlogon from i386 wouldn't work if it's the same cracked version.

I have only 2 ideas.

1. If you do have an original XP cd, put it in the drive, boot to CD, and make like you want to install a fresh copy of windows.
Don't worry, we're not. There's an option to run recovery console, but you want to skip that. After that, at some point
it will detect your windows installation and offer you a chance to repair the original installation by pressing "R". That's what you want.
Press R and it will copy a bunch of files. Then try to boot into windows and see if it's fixed.

2. Make an avira rescue CD, here's a link to the iso:
http://dl1.pro.antivir.de/package/rescue_s...m-common-en.iso

Using another computer and something like nero that can handle isos... burn the rescue CD and boot with it in your drive.
It will install a sort of mini Linux-based version of avira that can scan for and hopefully fix any viruses you might have.
When it's done, see if the issue goes away.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Background info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow AND http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/generalsec.../a/aa010904.htm

I guess that I would be concerned about the system's possible compromise...and post in the BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ , if only for confirmation that the system is indeed not compromised.

Louis

#4 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the help,

It's not a cracked version of Windows, I had bought it from the shop, but I cannot remember getting a CD with it, it was a long time ago so I cannot gain access to this CD.

I may try the boot CD if I can find another computer with a CD/R

I can access the Recovery Console without the CD if this helps in any way.

Any other ideas please?

Any other suggestions?

#5 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

OK if it helps I have also found 2 boot CD's

1. Ultimate Boot Disk 4.1.1
I have no idea on how to use this but I believe it has some anti-malware and other tools.

2.Don't know exactly what it is but it takes me to a windows setup screen where it says press R as suggested earlier but this just takes me to the recovery console rather than repairing a bunch of files as you may have suggested.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

I have tried chkdsk /r but it didnt help the problem :thumbsup:

#8 unohoo

unohoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Found the solution to this problem here - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21987602-...ram-internal-st

And here - http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtop...f=3&p=14680

Seems to be a problem with SuperAntispyware, am trying to fix a guys computer right now using the Avira rescue cd that CreeDo so kindly linked to above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users