Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abysmal firewire speed on my WD Studio II

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ClePto

ClePto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

I just bought a WD Studio II external hard drive. The 2 TB version and I can't seem to get very good transfer speeds. I use the Firewire 800 to 400 cable that came with the external hard drive. The fastest I have ever seen it transfer is about 20 MB/s. Over time it will average out and stay between 8-12 MB/s sustained. I know Firewire 400 is the slower of the two but this just seem ridiculous.

Does anyone know of any settings that may not be optimizing my transfers in Vista or any tricks that have worked that can speed up these transfers. It took hours to tranfer over about 200 hundred Gigs of TV shows. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

Transferring 200GB of files...will take anyone hours, in my experience.

When I transfer anywhere near that amount of files (rather than use my home network)...I just connect directly to the motherboard and it takes me a couple of hours or so.

IMO, a user cannot take the stated speed of any drive literally...I think that those are burst rates, not sustained rates. You may want to read http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/...fer_rates_2.htm

Louis

#3 ClePto

ClePto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks hamluis, and I understand what you are saying, but my concern was that my sustained rate is lets say around 10 MB/s or 80 mbps (which is 20% of the supposed transfer rate) I have searched the internet up and down about this topic and have found mixed results.

There are people getting the same as me, 8-12 MB/s.
Then there are others getting speeds of 44-47 MB/s.

I never really expected it to be 50 MB/s but was honestly expecting between 20 and 30 MB/s.
I can only seem to get up to 20 in the first 20-30 seconds. From what I have seen searching the internet it should take between 1 and 2 hours to complete, not twice that.

Edited by ClePto, 25 February 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

I have no experience with firewire devices...and I don't use USB-connected hard drives any more (I found it just as easy to attach directly to the motherboard or use a controller card).

Using PATA drives, I would suspect somewhere around 2 hours...with SATA drives, a little faster than that.

Louis

#5 ClePto

ClePto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Here is the test of the Caviar hard drives in the external hard drive. Average transfer rate of 64 MB/s. And I also don't know how having two of these set up as RAID 0 changes transfer speeds.

Posted Image

The external drive also has a eSATA port on it (which unfortunately i don't have on my computer). I have seen eSATA transfers around 50-60 MB/s but couldn't find any reviews that tested this particular hard drive. So if the eSATA port can manage the transfer speeds, what could be making the drive so dramatically slower over firewire?

I know you are trying to help Louis, I'm just trying to really get a grasp of this cause it really doesn't make any sense to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users