Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remnants of BrowserAid/LB Malware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jet

Jet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

Hi,

Recently I was ambushed by a number of Spyware programs. As a result I started receiving messages upon booting my PC about various DLL's that couldn't be found/loaded. Luckily after working with the SpywareWarrior Forum they were able to help me clean up my PC and the missing DLL issues seem to have gone away. However, I still have one Spyware induced (I think) issue remaining. Namely that when I boot my PC I receive the following message in a dialog box

"D0CE016B1
The specified module could not be found"

BTW, I'm running Windows XP Profession SP2

Someone in the Dell Forum seems to have correctly identified this as BrowserAid/LB malware. Spybot doesn't identify it when I run a scan. I'm guessing that this is just some of the left over crud from the my system cleansing (afterall the message does indicate that the specified module couldn't be found). I used the msconfig command and found out the command "rundll32.exe d0ce0c16b1, d0ce0c16b1" is in the "Startup tab". How do I get rid of this remnant (?) permanently.

Keep in mind that I am a novice on windows so please be gentle :thumbsup: .

Thanks in advance,
Jet

Thanks in advance,
Jet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jet

Jet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:19 AM

Well I was able to clean things up by following instructions on the TrendMicro website for ADW_BROWSERAID.C.

Cheers,
Jet :thumbsup:

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:30 AM

Well done. :thumbsup: Thanks for letting us know.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users