Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Builder.....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevinmfaust

kevinmfaust

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

Well as we all know home building is all but washed away and I am burned out on it anyway. I am thinking of starting a new carrier in I.T. but my knowledge of I.T. is limited. I am a natural troubleshooter; creative thinker kinda person and I need to be challenged on a regular basis. When things get routine my mind wanders off and I get bored fast. I was thinking of web development. What are the job prospects for the future and what is the chance that web design / development will be sold out to cheep $10.oo labor somewhere? Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom everyone.
Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

what is the chance that web design / development will be sold out to cheep $10.oo labor somewhere?

You mean cheap, $10 a month labor, right? :thumbsup:

The chance that web design will be fall to outsourcing is pretty small. The clients that I develop for prefer to be involved in the design process, which means face-to-face meetings. Granted, it can be done through video conferencing, but my clients prefer me because I am available at a moment's notice, and I am able to deliver a personal touch that is very difficult to achieve remotely.

There are (by conservative estimates from Google) several billion new pages coming on line every day. Google has well over a trillion unique links. I am reasonably sure there is always going to be a market for good developers.

Web development is also more than just web pages, by the way. Web applications are just really getting going. Then there is the background work to support web based content, and that can be anything from database work to, well, really anything.

#3 kevinmfaust

kevinmfaust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Good to know you believe it will be stable work. I have heard from some folks that the field is being flooded and good work will be hard to find. What about it being repititve work? I believe developing would be more of a challenge then just designing only. Is the work repetitive to the point of boredom?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. Development is the act of creating some sort of project. Once can develop static html, or one can develop complex software to try and understand the secrets of the universe.

I have heard from some folks that the field is being flooded and good work will be hard to find.

What field is being flooded? We have tons of recruiters that come to school looking for developers. the United States needs to produce something like 250,000 computer scientists/developers over the next ten years. I don't remember the exact numbers, but universities are turning out a few thousand a year, nowhere near what is needed. As a result, companies like Microsoft and Daktronics are actively going onto the schools trying to get people interested in computers.

What about it being repititve work?

There are short bursts of repetitiveness, but I can give you my current workload as an example. I am developing a mobile application for Imagine Cup, I just developed a small application to do mass file renaming for fun. I am adding new functionality into bioextract.org. I am writing an application to test inter-process communication on a real-time operating system. I am writing my own copy program as a study of operating systems. And I will be developing a website later this spring for a winery (hopefully). I am using Java, C, C++, C#, and javascript. Bored? Hardly. There is always something new to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users