Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think Working With Electricity Is Safe?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

This is a small Video so you when you open it up right click on the Video Area and use the Zoom option and put it at 200% it will give a bigger picture.

This video will show you how dangerous Electricity is... - http://www.brainfiller.com/ArcFlashwhilerackingabreaker.wmv

Edited by woodyblade, 25 February 2009 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

Page doesn't load for me,Woodyblade.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

Worked for me and OUCH? :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Sorry DSTM don't know if anyone else has had problems since your the only one replying outside the UK, it might be limited to the UK viewers? not sure why it wouldn't work I just copied the link from a forwarded email I got.

Maybe try it again?

If it doesn't work a second time not sure how to resolve it without more people outside the UK replying to say either it works or doesn't.

I'll add a bit of info later, I can ask my Dad (He's an Electrician who has worked on Cabinets very similar to those on the Railways, nearly 30 years now) what actually went wrong for that bloke on the video, the little I know about those Cabinets is they supply about 11,000 volts I think.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

When I use the link it wants to download into Media Player.
Have you tried right clicking on the link and selecting "Save target as..." or "Save link as..."
Once it's saved to your hard drive try to open it with Media Player.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thanks USASMA.That worked a treat. :thumbsup:
Saved, and played with Media Player.

#7 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

I think I know why it worked for the rest of us and not DSTM, I suspect that like me Emu and Usasma use Firefox? I have the Windows Media Player Plugin installed with my Firefox Browser so when I opened the link it opened and worked as normal, I think DSTM has mentioned before he uses Opera? Not sure if that has a similar Plugin since I don't use Opera.

Although I have just checked if it loads in IE and it does by loading another IE Window for a second and then opening up Windows Media Player.

Anyway as I said I'd add more information about what actually happens, can't be sure since it doesn't show what they do with the cabinet before but he is resetting the circuit breaker (Pretty much says it in the title of the Video) so they must have not done something wrong some where for him to get electrocuted.

Edited by woodyblade, 26 February 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

My security levels are set to prompt me whenever anything tries to run on my system(s). That way I know if there's something funny going on (I had this happen once with WMP when surfing on the bad side of the tracks).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Ahh that must of hurt. Did the guy die?
:thumbsup: :flowers:
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#10 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

I think because the potential voltage is 11,000 volts i.e. the difference between the Live wire and Neutral wire, it would be pretty much Game Over for that bloke, Unluckily.

#11 gfroggy

gfroggy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

Looks like he was racking the breaker in(reconnecting to the power bus). Since there are interlocks to prevent you from racking a breaker that is closed, I would guess that there was still a grounding strap on the breaker when he racked it into a live bus. Really bad thing to do.
I was working at a plant that racked a breaker in and closed it onto a grounded bus,the breaker blew itself back out of the panel. Lucky that time nobody close to breaker.

#12 Goober17

Goober17

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

worked for me in "real Player"....I'm in US

#13 Guest_MissyDog_*

Guest_MissyDog_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

Holy Expletive that was quite a spark

#14 clubhouse

clubhouse

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

This is sick if this is in fact a video of death, it should be removed. I don't need to see video of people killing themselves to know electricity kills.

Inappropriate for this site. There are other sites for sick videos and photos. :thumbsup:

#15 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

I'm sorry if you don't like the Video clubhouse, It's been up since the end of February as you can see and there have been no complaints about it.

The thing is (And I should have said this before) it is inconclusive as to whether he was hit or not, I think he might have been hit be it by an explosion maybe electricity, for all we know he could have just had a slight tickling voltage 1 or 2 volts maybe (I think Humans can survive that for a short period?), electricity might not have hit him, to me it looks pretty much like an explosion in the cabinet of some sort, gfroggy in his reply above (13th March) refers to the breaker blowing out of the panel so I would think that is associated with an explosion, wouldn't you agree?.

EDIT: Yep I might have said something earlier thinking he might have had it, but that was before gfroggy replied to point out what may have happened.

Edited by woodyblade, 09 May 2009 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users