Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Rom drive not recognized, yet it is?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 InuYasha

InuYasha

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Well, one day I just couldn't get my CD-ROM drive to read any disks on my Dell Inspiron 531s.

So I did a little investigating and found that the CD-ROM drive didn't show up on My Computer either.

I then decided to go check out my Device Manager.

As you'll see in the attached image of my Device Manager, there is no DVD/CD-ROM drives category. BUT, there is a CD-ROM device in the Other Devices category.

I would also like to point out there there is no update for the driver.(Or, at least not one that windows could find.)

All help would be appreciated.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Sorry about the double post, but I forgot to mention that if I go to the CD-ROM devices properties, it tells me that it's working properly.
Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Delete the upper/lower filter keys:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

My problem doesn't match the symptoms.

I put a disc in, and nothing happens.

There are no error messages.
Posted Image

#5 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

I don't think the symptoms fit. BUT, I wouldn't be able to back up my registry files. I tried to back them up, but, it was searching for disks, and taking forever.
Posted Image

#6 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

I tried deleting the Upper and Lower Filter registries. That didn't work.

I then tried Uninstalling the drive and rebooting. That didn't work either.

I don't know why, but it's being reported as an SCSI, but it is actually an SATA.

Plus, it's showing up under "Other Devices" in the Device Manager.

It will not show up under "My Computer".

BIOS recognizes it as SATA though.

Anything else I can try?
Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

I don't know why, but it's being reported as an SCSI, but it is actually an SATA.
BIOS recognizes it as SATA though.

This is normal for hard drives. Never heard about it for optical drives
I'm wondering if a SATA controller card would solve this problem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124020

Edited by garmanma, 27 February 2009 - 12:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

I don't think I'll be able to buy one. But whenever I have enough money, I'll try that.

Any other suggestions or solutions would be helpful now though.
Posted Image

#9 Guest_Roby_*

Guest_Roby_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

Troubleshoot the hardware

You mentioned that the drive isn't "seen" in the Bios -- did you enter Bios Setup and take a look there? (or did you just watch the Bios info screen as it flashes by at startup?)

Why not take a look in the Bios Setup screens. For your model, I believe you press the F2 key to enter the Bios (of course, you do this when first powering on). Take a look at the settings for the IDE controllers - they should be set to "Enabled", and to "Auto" to automatically detect the presence of any optical or hard drives. Your model Gateway usually ships with parallel-IDE drives, so I don't believe you have a SATA optical drive.

If everything looks OK in there, try booting with a bootable CD/DVD. A Knoppix disk would be handy for this -- since it will run entirely from system memory & not write anything to your hard drive (which it mounts as "read only"). You can grab a Knoppix disk from their website --- http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html --- if the computer finds and boots Knoppix OK, you know there's nothing wrong with your optical drive.

If the drive tests OK - you'll know your problem lies in the software department.

If no optical drive shows up in the Bios, no matter that your Bios settings look right, something is wrong with your cabling, jumpers, or with the motherboard. It's fairly easy to check your jumpers & cabling. I believe your model has a SATA hard drive, and an PATA DVD drive. If the jumper on the DVD drive says "CS" (or "Cable Select") - ensure that it's connected to the end connector. Assuming you have no other drives sharing the cable with the DVD drive, the jumper may also be set to "M" (or "Master").

If the optical drive still refuses to work (at all) - and still refuses to be recognized as present by the Bios -- if the system is under warranty (I"ll assume it is, since that's a fairly recent model), call Gateway & have them repair it - on their dollar. If you are out-of-warranty, try a spare drive (ask around, a friend might have an extra).

Troubleshoot the software

Well, you can at least be comforted by the fact that many people have experienced this problem. Not quite so comforting is the wide variety of "fixes" and disagreements as to the causes.

[If the DVD drive was originally detected in Vista, one quick-fix that you can try right away is to use Vista's built-in "System Restore" feature, using a restore point from before the CD/DVD drive disappeared --- in your case, probably the first restore point created]

A common problem, often, is that some programs (notably those with CD/DVD recording abilities) make changes to settings for your CD/DVD drives. My general recommendation is to try to find which program is responsible, and see if an update (or "patch") is available from the support website for that program.

As the actors in the old movies used to say, let's "round up the usual suspects" = Nero, Roxio, iTunes, LimeWire, AnyDVD, (some even say Norton 360?), etc. ... Should you have recently installed any of these just before your CD/DVD drive disappeared - they could have contributed to the problem.

Look for clues in the Event Viewer logs (these are in the Administrative Tools in the Vista Control Panel). Especially look in on the errors --- warnings and informational notices don't need quite as much attention. Look for updates from any programs mentioned.

Also - make sure you have your Windows Updates arriving automatically, & that you are up-to-date. You can check in the Control Panel's "Security Center". It may be that simply updating Vista with the latest patches will help.

If you aren't sure what program might have caused the trouble, you can try a Registry edit to help troubleshoot. Using the edit can help make the CD/DVD drive reappear, but it can cause the program that made the original change to the CD/DVD settings not work. This can actually prove which program was at fault = it's the one that no longer works afterwards.

UpperFilters & LowerFilters Registry Edit:

1) Type RegEdit into the Search box on your Vista Start Menu
2) Click on the regedit.exe icon that appears on the menu
3) Navigate (by clicking on the little arrows to expand lists) to the following Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4) Clicking on that key will show various items and values in the right-hand pane. If you see a Name entry that says "UpperFilters", right-click it and select "Delete"
5) Do the same for any Name entry that says "LowerFilters".
6) Close regedit.
7) Reboot to let the changes take effect.

Note - if you do not see the "Filters" items, just exit the Registry Editor without making any changes.

I'l be curious to hear which repair helps to fix your DVD troubles - since there are so many variations.

If the above steps dosen’t work try this:

If the IDE controllers are showing a problem then the system will not detect devices on it properly.
First Update the IDE drivers from the motherboard manufac... web site. (chipset INF)
Second I would check to make sure the system did not add the good old NOIDE in the registry.
Start --> run
regedit
In the left pane make sure My Computer is selected.
Click edit ---> find
Type in NOIDE
click find
If a entry show up delete it, and reboot the system.

Best of luck! :huh:

Robin's

#10 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

Alright, I've fixed the problem!

Here's how I fixed it:
  • First, open the device manager.
  • Next, go under the "other devices" category.
  • Now, right-click on the device that is supposed to be your CD-Rom drive and click "Update Driver Software."
  • Then, click on "Browse my computer for driver software."
  • Next, click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
  • Now, go into "Disk Drives."
  • Next, click on "CD-ROM Drive."
  • Then, click "Next"
  • Finally, the software will be installed, your CD-ROM device will show up correctly, and it will work again. :huh:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users