Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Anti-Virus from Amazon.co.uk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

*EDIT*Right let's square this away first, by 'experienced advice please' what I ment was advice from anyone who had a purchase experience regarding this product (new) just incase anyone was thinking (like the first reply) that I was meaning something sinister :thumbsup:

Ok, this is not a post about McAfee, just is there anyone out there that has brought it from Amazo.co.uk?

My local PC World has just finished an offer so now the McAfee Internet Security 2009 - 3 user PC is a shade under £50.

However, Amazon.co.uk is advertising the same for a shade under £25 - delivered!

Check this out

Sorry, this is not an ad and apologies if I have done wrong, I just want to know if there is anyway this can back-fire and if anyone out there has brought this and their experience.

Having just been made redundant at the mo I cannot afford mistakes.

Edited by doresy, 25 February 2009 - 10:56 AM.

Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

The link you posted is to an empty shopping basket, you may want to edit this with a link to the page itself :thumbsup:

I have bought things from Amazon and have had no problems, however is this new/unopened or 2nd hand?
If it's 2nd hand then chances are its been used...just a thought.

I personally use free firewall/anti virus/antispyware.

Have a look at these:"Experienced Advice Please." --> You may offend people here as everyone has there own level of experience, there is no set level to reply to post on this site, everyone helps where they can.

Edit:
I take it this is what you where referring to?

McAfee Internet Security 2009 - 3 User (PC)

If you buy a new one i don't see any problems with doing it what so ever :flowers:

Edited by E-Mu, 25 February 2009 - 10:33 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

The link you posted is to an empty shopping basket, you may want to edit this with a link to the page itself :trumpet:

I have bought things from Amazon and have had no problems, however is this new/unopened or 2nd hand?
If it's 2nd hand then chances are its been used...just a thought.

I personally use free firewall/anti virus/antispyware.

Have a look at these:

"Experienced Advice Please." --> You may offend people here as everyone has there own level of experience, there is no set level to reply to post on this site, everyone helps where they can.

Edit:
I take it this is what you where referring to?

McAfee Internet Security 2009 - 3 User (PC)

If you buy a new one i don't see any problems with doing it what so ever :inlove:

I have changed the link, hope it now works.

What I mean by 'Experienced Advice' was advice from someone who had experienced a purchase rather that just an opinion :flowers: No offence ment and I'm sure none will be taken...........but who knows with these thing :thumbsup:

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

Yep the links working now :thumbsup:

Sometimes it can put members "off" looking at a topic, im sure no offence was ment :flowers:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hi there,

I havent purchased from .co.uk, only .com and .de, but generally speaking they do this via volumes of sales and to get rid from it to have space on their shelves. Its a Amazon sale themselves. One from third party would look like this and indicated by:

In stock.
Dispatched from and sold by Store of your choice.

However, I must agree with E-Mu. I do not see why you would spend so much money for a product such as this. If you are to insist on paying for something, I would look at F-SECURE, NOD32, KASPERSKY. Also, I do not think much of the "Internet Security" softwares themselves, other than being a total resource hog.

Personally I use Avira Antivir free, Kerio 2.15 (yes the last version prior to becoming Sunbelt and yes the version after that is just fine. I just personally use the older one), and a programme such as SAS / MBAM for on-demand scanning.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#6 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hi and thanks for the input :thumbsup:

The reason I am prepared to pay the lowly sum of £25 for a years worth of peace of mind from McAffe is that I, with the rest of the family, have been on the internet for 6 years and have never been bothered by any viruses whatsoever. We download loads and visit all sorts of sites. We do banking and business and never had any problems at all.

I do know of several people, friends and work colleagues, that have had minor to major virus infections while using free so-called protection.

I do not want to enter into any kind of argument (and wont reply to one), call me old fashioned but nobody gives something away if they could get money for it. These free versions offer some kind of lower protection than the ones they actually sell.

I am out of work at the moment following redundancy but (like putting decent tyres on my car) there's things regarding safety that you just shouldn't compromise on, IMO.

The idea of this post was to find out if people think it is ok to purchase an anti-virus from Amazon as it is cheaper or should I stick with the manufacturer's site. It was not to challenge my wish to buy security rather than to RISK a freebie.

Good for me and good luck to you.....each to their own and let's leave it at that please :flowers:

#7 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

Good for me and good luck to you.....each to their own and let's leave it at that please wink.gif

I am sorry, but I cannot leave it as it, because your statement

I do not want to enter into any kind of argument (and wont reply to one), call me old fashioned but nobody gives something away if they could get money for it. These free versions offer some kind of lower protection than the ones they actually sell.

Is simply not true. Avira Antivir has one of the highest detection rates and is freely available. You get it for free. Of course you will have a screen after each update saying that you should buy their premium version, but for pure protection the free version is just fine. If you look at this, you will see that basic version is fully ok, if you use other free programmes such as Super Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware, Spybot S&D, SpywareGuard and or SpywareBlaster along with it. You can fully protect your pc free of charge. The only disadvantages being some features for more comfort or would need use of other freebies as just described.

I will not force you to not spend your money, but since this thread will be read by others, I simply cannot leave your statement as is. Its not correct.

-edited wording-

Edited by Yourhighness, 28 February 2009 - 12:22 AM.

Posted Image

#8 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

Ok, but I have to say that by needing other programs to back up your anti-virus proves to me that the service of a freebie is inferior to the one I have enjoyed for a mere £25. :flowers:

I use McAfee and the only other thing that I do is to clear cookies/temp files. Yes I do have the Ad-Aware and Spybot but each time I run them they say no threats present so I don't bother any more.

Agree to differ and each to their own :thumbsup:

#9 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

Sorry, but I think you need to differentiate. Even if the borders are crossing each other more and more and the "old fashioned" antivirus software may need replacement with an "all-in-one" solution in the long run, we currently need to differ:

Virus:

Today the term virus is often loosely used to refer to any type of malicious program, or is used to describe any ‘bad thing’ that a malicious program does to a host system. Strictly speaking, however, a virus is defined as program code that replicates....

Wikipedia also has information on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

Spyware:

‘Spyware’ is something of a grey area, so there’s no copy-book definition for it. However, as the name suggests, it’s often loosely defined as software that is designed to gather data from a computer and forward it to a third party without the consent or knowledge of the computer’s owner....

Again, Wikipedia also has info on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

Malware:

Malware (short for malicious software) refers to any program that is deliberately created to perform an unauthorized, often harmful, action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

I hope the above illustrates the complexities of the "modern" fight against the bad boys and why thus far companies have stuck to what they did best. Considering the mass of infections and varieties out there today, no company can allow itself to simply concentrate on one area, as they would otherwise fall behind. Thus the "Internet Security Suites." As they have not yet worked on a all-in-one approach, the putting together of 3 apps into 1 has set a trend of its own. It also leaves you with little choice in terms of detection rates and performance. Thence I prefer to install three apps of my choice as "one" supposed application, which in fact is just three programmes stuck together so to say.

There is only one application I am aware of at the moment that tries to actually make only one programme instead of the three-in-one approach, by Sunbeltsoftware, but I have not tried it yet and cannot comment on it. Until the other companies try such an approach and it becomes the "standard", you will be stuck with the above scenario.

As for your "nothing is for free" thing, well. Of course the free versions may have limitations, but not in their detection rates. That would be as if they shot themselves in the foot. Who would buy their product after all, if they trade off with detection rates. What they do, is pull up nagscreens which you can click away that will tell you how much better you are off with paid software. Detection wise there should not be a difference. May be additional features which you dont always need or want, or a guard system (often with antispyware programmes found as a paid additional).

Sorry for this rant. Its not addressed at you, but rather trying to clarify things for any registered / non-registered user here who could / would read this topic. Very important and diffuse subject.

Posted Image

#10 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hi Doresy

Ok, this is not a post about McAfee, just is there anyone out there that has brought it from Amazon.co.uk?

I do use McAfee, and have to say that I would never buy a copy from PC World. Their prices for most things are over inflated although you can pick up the odd bargain from time to time.

I bought a copy of McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 (Upgrade Version) last October from Amazon at a considerable saving and it was the real McCoy. :thumbsup:
Note that this was supplied by Amazon and not one of its resellers.

I have no problem purchasing anything from Amazon (not resellers) as I find their service very good and they have a reputation to uphold. I can't see them jeperdising their reputation by selling dodgy goods.
Steve

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

Sorry, but I think you need to differentiate. Even if the borders are crossing each other more and more and the "old fashioned" antivirus software may need replacement with an "all-in-one" solution in the long run, we currently need to differ:

Virus:

Today the term virus is often loosely used to refer to any type of malicious program, or is used to describe any ‘bad thing’ that a malicious program does to a host system. Strictly speaking, however, a virus is defined as program code that replicates....

Wikipedia also has information on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

Spyware:

‘Spyware’ is something of a grey area, so there’s no copy-book definition for it. However, as the name suggests, it’s often loosely defined as software that is designed to gather data from a computer and forward it to a third party without the consent or knowledge of the computer’s owner....

Again, Wikipedia also has info on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

Malware:

Malware (short for malicious software) refers to any program that is deliberately created to perform an unauthorized, often harmful, action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

I hope the above illustrates the complexities of the "modern" fight against the bad boys and why thus far companies have stuck to what they did best. Considering the mass of infections and varieties out there today, no company can allow itself to simply concentrate on one area, as they would otherwise fall behind. Thus the "Internet Security Suites." As they have not yet worked on a all-in-one approach, the putting together of 3 apps into 1 has set a trend of its own. It also leaves you with little choice in terms of detection rates and performance. Thence I prefer to install three apps of my choice as "one" supposed application, which in fact is just three programmes stuck together so to say.

There is only one application I am aware of at the moment that tries to actually make only one programme instead of the three-in-one approach, by Sunbeltsoftware, but I have not tried it yet and cannot comment on it. Until the other companies try such an approach and it becomes the "standard", you will be stuck with the above scenario.

As for your "nothing is for free" thing, well. Of course the free versions may have limitations, but not in their detection rates. That would be as if they shot themselves in the foot. Who would buy their product after all, if they trade off with detection rates. What they do, is pull up nagscreens which you can click away that will tell you how much better you are off with paid software. Detection wise there should not be a difference. May be additional features which you dont always need or want, or a guard system (often with antispyware programmes found as a paid additional).

Sorry for this rant. Its not addressed at you, but rather trying to clarify things for any registered / non-registered user here who could / would read this topic. Very important and diffuse subject.

:flowers:

I completely agree with your Post, Mate.

It is recognised by most Proffessionals that there is certainly NO Product on the Market that can ever detect ALL of what you have listed above. It is impossible for Companies' to fix them, because they come out so fast, defying a quick Update Fix.

Three different Detection Systems used in conjunction are always the Best, even using Online Scans from reputable Companies, for Free, can Detect things even your onboard Protection misses.

It is just Common Sense, unless you are a very experienced person.

:thumbsup:

#12 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi Doresy

Ok, this is not a post about McAfee, just is there anyone out there that has brought it from Amazon.co.uk?

I do use McAfee, and have to say that I would never buy a copy from PC World. Their prices for most things are over inflated although you can pick up the odd bargain from time to time.

I bought a copy of McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 (Upgrade Version) last October from Amazon at a considerable saving and it was the real McCoy. :inlove:

I have no problem purchasing anything from Amazon (not resellers) as I find their service very good and they have a reputation to uphold. I can't see them jeperdising their reputation by selling dodgy goods.

Ah-ha, back on topic! :trumpet: Thank you friend :cool: I got my copy from PC World last year as they had a limited amount of upgrade versions going cheap.
This year the security suite 2009 was a tad under £50 :thumbsup: where upon a search on the net threw up Amazon at HALF that price :) (and yes, new and supplied by Amazon)

PC World can kiss my :flowers:

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

This year the security suite 2009 was a tad under £50 :thumbsup: where upon a search on the net threw up Amazon at HALF that price :cool: (and yes, new and supplied by Amazon)

:trumpet:

I don't think people here need to see you saying that about a Computer Help Magazine?

By all means, look for a cheaper Price, but Please never attack a Company or Person here, none of us have attacked you, just be curtious to others?

Just my Opinion?

:inlove:

Edited by Abacus 7, 01 March 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hi Doresy

I bought a copy of McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 (Upgrade Version) last October from Amazon at a considerable saving and it was the real McCoy. :inlove:

Ah-ha, back on topic! :trumpet: Thank you friend :cool: I got my copy from PC World last year as they had a limited amount of upgrade versions going cheap.
This year the security suite 2009 was a tad under £50 :thumbsup: where upon a search on the net threw up Amazon at HALF that price :) (and yes, new and supplied by Amazon)

Err... That is just... Disrespectful...
Could you please be courteous of other companies while in this forum? We do respect your opinions, but just because their prices are "tad" over the limit, doesn't really give you the right to blow up on them on this forum. Please leave "overly expressive" material out.

On the other hand,
I have found amazon is very reliable. Whether it may be AV Software, or Computer software, they always do the job. I would try to buy it, even though Paid-For-AV isn't the best sometimes.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#15 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hi Abacus 7

I don't think people here need to see you saying that about a Computer Help Magazine?

I do not want to comment on the rights or wrongs of Doresy's comments but would like to clarify that his remarks were not directed to a computer help magazine. PC World in the UK is a retail chain of shops, not a magazine.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users