Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP hangs after login

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dalektikal

dalektikal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

I did a quick search through google and couldn't find anything about this problem, so I figured I'd check here.

I don't turn my computer off at night. I like to listen to music, plus when I wake up, I like to check check some sites before work.

This morning, I woke up and there was no music playing. So when I turned my monitor on, I saw it was on the welcome/login screen (which I never use... I usually just turn on my computer and it goes straight to my desktop). This is where the problem occurs.

I clicked on "Compaq_User" and it said "Loading personal settings." My desktop appeared, without icons, for about half a second and then went back to the welcome/login screen and said "saving personal settings." That was it. The "saving personal settings" goes away and it's letting me click "Compaq_User" again. I clicked it and it did the same thing as before.

I tried turning off the computer and turning it on again. It brings me to the Welcome scree, goes to my desktop for about 4 or 5 seconds, then back to the Welcome/login screen. I tried again and the same thing happened.

Anyone know what the issue is? There's probably an easy way to bypass the Welcome/login screen, since I never used it before. But I don't know why it would have done this in the first place. Overnight, my computer must've turned off and whatever happened, happened. But no one had touched it and I hadn't downloaded or installed any new programs recently.

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!

~Shamus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CreeDo

CreeDo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I found this with some googling.
Basically you need to go to the windows recovery console and copy the file userinit.exe back into
the system32 folder. The instructions also say to copy wsaupdater.exe, probably you should do that to be safe...
even though I read that just userinit fixed it.

Here are more detailed instructions. Good luck! Run a virus scan with Avira and/or Malwarebytes Antimalware after.

1. Boot using your winxp cd.
2. Enter recovery console.
3. at the command prompt go to
C:/windows/system32
4. next type:
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
5. exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet!
6. run regedit
7. find the Userinit key in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
8. modify the entry:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe
so that it reads:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users