Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shareaza p2p removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poorfertman

poorfertman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

I downloaded Shareaza P2P and it really screwed up my computer. It has fraudware popping up all the time. It will not let me remove it from my add or remove programs as it says it is running. I tried SPYBOT and ADWARE and it did nothing. Any Ideas? Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

If you cannot uninstall a program from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then the file may be in use. If that's the case trying uninstalling while in "Safe Mode".

Note: Using any peer-to-peer (P2P) or file sharing program is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge. Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and a Repair Install will NOT help!. In those cases, the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories, Risks of File-Sharing Technology and P2P file sharing: Anticipate the risks....
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Hypewise

Hypewise

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

Remember Shareaza.com is a scam!

"ShareazaV5" is known spyware for the major music industry to gather "evidence," and very difficult to remove and repair damage.

However, the original open-source Shareaza 2.4 at http://shareaza.sourceforge.net is completely safe, and shouldn't be causing any problems at all (unless you mistakenly downloaded a virus).

Learn more at FakeShareaza.com - forum includes V5 removal tools and advice.

#4 Expanded

Expanded

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:51 AM

Hi,

I've installed ShareazaV5 without knowing that it is a fake. I only started the program, I've searched for something....didn't like the results, so I did not download anything. And then I removed it with uninstall.
Accidentaly, I've found that it was a fake software and now I'm really worried. I got no popups or something...my PC seems to work fine. Nod32 didn't warn me about anything....outpost's firewall antispyware feature did not find anything.
Should I be worried?
How can I find out that I'm safe?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to BC Expanded

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users