Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cleepops

cleepops

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

Hi, recently I have experienced the following problems with IE7. When browsing connection to a new page or link becomes very slow, when I try to go back I cannot and the internet connection seems to freeze. The only way I can come out is via the task manager. Often when this problem has occurred I cannot then shut down the PC and I have to use the on switch. After reboot everything is back to normal.
I have Vista Home Premium, run AVG free and Zone Alarm. I have checked out Internet Options and everything is OK. I have tried scans with AdAware and Spybot, even Windows Defender and found no nasties. (By the way none of those spyware programmes are active unless I run a scan). I would be grateful for any advice (not too technical please, I'm an old guy with little expertise).
Previously I got error messages, ""uk.yahoo (homepage) is not set up to establish a connection port "world wide web" service http with this computer" but this has not occurred for a while.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

Look in the Event Viewer to see if there are any errors at the time that this is happening.

Go to Start, in the Start Search box type just three letters: eve. When the dialog box opens click on Event.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Aanders5

Aanders5

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hi cleepops,
Ok, first problem. you are running BOTH AVG and Zonealarm? Running two virus firewalls is very very bad. They end up targeting each other and playing a massive memory consuming game of tag. (which is probably why your entire computer is running slow)

Either stick with AVG or Zonealarm, you must never have two firewalls/virus programs going at once.

-Austin

Also: please don't post the same topic twice, we always answer questions quickly. Thanks.

Edited by Aanders5, 25 February 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

I would suspect an add-on.
See "Don Varnau's" post in this thread. There are 3 good links in it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hi cleepops,
Ok, first problem. you are running BOTH AVG and Zonealarm? Running two virus firewalls is very very bad. They end up targeting each other and playing a massive memory consuming game of tag. (which is probably why your entire computer is running slow)

Either stick with AVG or Zonealarm, you must never have two firewalls/virus programs going at once.

-Austin

Also: please don't post the same topic twice, we always answer questions quickly. Thanks.

I ran Zonealarm and AVG for years without any problems, ZA is a firewall and not a active anti virus.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cleepops

cleepops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi to all for help and advice and to Aanders 5, the reason I posted again under a slightly different heading was due to the fact that the only reply to my previous post was from a young person who could only advise that I threw my machine out of the window and tried something else; hardly positive advice from a forum I have always found to give excellent advice I hope you will agree. Also I have used AVG and ZA in tandem for years and had no conflict and must agree with dc3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users