Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System does not boot up - no video get 20 beeps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vicman

Vicman

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hello all,

I am trying to help my friend with his computer problem.
He has an ASUS A832N-SLI motherboard with 4GB of DDRPC3200, CPU not sure?, 4 HD SATA 2 RAID 1 500GB, 1 250GB, NVIDIA 9800 PCI-E, Running XP Pro.
When I turn the system on it beeps 20 times, and I get no video or post screen. I tested the power supply and it tests ok. Replaced video card and still no video. Removed all memory and left it with no memory still 20 beeps. isolated all HD's and started with just one drive and still 20 beeps. Removed all peripherals and started with just motherboard, nvidia 8800 PCI-E, 1 HD, 512MB of RAM (different from original) still get 20 beeps no video, or post screen. I removed the CMOS battery waited 15 minutes and restarted the system still same 20 beeps no video pr post screen. I have not replaced the CPU or motherboard. Can the motherboard be bad?
He tells me that the board is brand new and never was turned on.??? He also broke the SATA connector off one of his HD's and now the HD needs repalcement. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:37 AM

Are you sure that it beeps twenty times, not two sets of ten?

Are these beeps all of the same tone and duration?

Has this computer ever run properly?

Did they use standoffs to mount the board?

Did they connect the four pin power connector for the CPU?

Did they use thermal compound when they mounted the heat sink and fan to the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Vicman

Vicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

Hello dc3,

i just turn the machine back on and all the beeping stopped, I removed all drives and got to setup screen. Loaded MB default and will try to build the HD's setup again please do not close the posting yet. I may still need your help. Thank you :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:45 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how many problems are solved by a simple reboot.

Good luck.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users