Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown Error Message

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dreed2440

dreed2440

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

When I shut down, I get an "initialization failed" error message containing "USRprbdA.exe". It appears this is a US Robotics software problem. This problem started appox. 5 months ago. At that time I was running a Verizon DSL modem made by Westell and had been for sometime. I recently switched to a cable modem which is RCA.
Haven't run a US Robotics modem for appox. 1 1/2 years. I checked my Device Manager and found the modem listed "US Robotics 56K Voice Win Int". Checked the Add Remove Software area and found no obvious software. I'm not sure why the problem started suddenly. It's more a personal annoyance than a real problem, but how can I fix the problem?
I appreciate any help...Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

Here is almost the exact situation you describe with the cure being the install of the latest driver for the modem.

http://www.villman.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3477墷

#3 dreed2440

dreed2440
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

That link takes me to the forum homepage. I don't see any reference to the problem. Do I need to register and ask the question there?

#4 dreed2440

dreed2440
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:05 PM

Here is almost the exact situation you describe with the cure being the install of the latest driver for the modem.

http://www.villman.com/forums/topic.asp?TO...ID=3477墷

That link takes me to the forum homepage. I don't see any reference to the problem. Do I need to register and ask the question there

#5 madestmax

madestmax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:52 AM

Why don't you go into the control panel, system, device manager. rigt click on that modem and unistall it?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

Why don't you go into the control panel, system, device manager. rigt click on that modem and unistall it?

Although thats a good idea, Windows will likely redetect the modem and attempt to reinstall it on the next boot.

Go into Device Manager, find and highlight the Modem, select Properties and put a check mark in Disable in this Hardware Profile. You won't be able to use the modem but its seems your not.

The other remedy would be going into Device Manager, highlighting the Modem, selecting Remove and shutting down the computer. You would then have to physically remove the Modem from the machine.

Edited by Leurgy, 06 June 2005 - 07:54 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 dreed2440

dreed2440
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:43 PM

I disabled the modem in Device Manager and that fixed the problem and also sped up reboot. Thanks much "Leurgy".......Dave

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:02 AM

Your very welcome and thanks for posting back to let us know that worked for you. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users