Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Do I Get These Connectors And What Are They Called?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Javid

Javid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ok, I've been searching for the past hour and I haven't had any luck. I'm looking to make some modifications to my case, and I need connectors like these:

http://home.quickclic.net/~javid2099/connectors.jpg

Any ideas would be really appreciated. I guess I can make them also, but I don't even know whre to begin. Would JTAG connector cables work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Try am electronics supply house like "Radio Shack" .

Hit some resale shops & see if you can find some really cheap old computers.
Cut the wires with the connectors out of them.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Javid

Javid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

Try am electronics supply house like "Radio Shack" .

Hit some resale shops & see if you can find some really cheap old computers.
Cut the wires with the connectors out of them.

I should buy old computer cases just for wires :thumbsup: That kinda seems like a waste, especially since it would render the case useless.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

I ugrade a lot of computers.
Most "branded" computers come with a proprietary front panel connector.
I have no problem with buying a really cheap ,old . computer , cutting the wires out of it, & splicing them in to connect a "none stock" motherboard.
I remove every screw I can & save those.
Some of the old drives come in handy too.
I take everything I think may be usefull & toss the rest.
Also, You never know what you'll find in an old computer.
I bought a $5. "yard sale" computer that I was told didn't work.
When I popprd it open I found a 160GB HD I don't think had ever been used.

I think it's better to strip anything I can use out of a clunker then for the whole thing to end up in the trash with stuff I could have used. :thumbsup:

Edited by fairjoeblue, 24 February 2009 - 11:25 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

Those are the USB front panel connectors? Depending on the case/motherboard, these can be separate like the photo or moulded into 2 connectors or a single 10 pin connector.

Any old motherboard connection wiring could be used to connect a motherboard to a case mounted USB. You would need the motherboard pinout diagram on that end and the same on the connector you want to mount on the case. As an example, I have a Socket 7 P133 sitting next to me with front panel usb connector salvaged from an old thrashed case. A dremel to cut the hole, two screws to attach it, plug it into the motherboard...done deal.

The P133 cited above was a project to replace my girlfriends' bothers failed 486SX25 motherboard. Now he gets his DOS machine back that triple boots DOS-Win3.1/NT4.0/W2K, is capable of using serial, ps2, and USB mouse, will connect a card reader, etc. Only thing original to his old system is the case and 5.25" floppy drive. HDD's, 3.5" floppy, video card, sound card, modem, network card, ps2 mouse connector, usb connector, and cabling all came from salvage.

Over the years, the "clunkers" fairjoeblue described have provided enough stuff for me to build and give away about 160 pc's including a server and 6 old DEC workstations to set up a middle school computer lab.

A better description of what you want to do and manufacturer and model numbers of the motherbaord and case will get you more help.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

If you want to add front USB to a case that doesn't have it get a USB "hub" that fits in a floppy drive opening.
It will come with all the neccessary connectors.
If you want to get fancy about it get one with a USB port & card readers.

#7 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

Good point. Mine came with an additional cable to connect it directly to the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users