Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS OFFICE REPAIR!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hi guys! I was surfing around the internet and all of a sudden I found an application called UPX Frontend which compresses any .dll's or .exe files to make the application boot faster. Then so I decided to try it on Firefox and it had a little affect but when I tried it on MS Office MS word,powerpoint and excel stopped working!! Does here know a way I can use to repair office. And I already know the way to go to the uninstaller and there clicking repair or reinstall and do it that way but it didn't work. So anyone has a way to repair it. And since this is a second hand pc Office came preinstalled so I don't have the cd. And my office version and name is Microsoft Office 2000 Premium version 9.00.2720. And if anyone knows a way to repair please tell me because I'm in desperate need. I also when used UPX Frontend there was an option to backup the files before compressing but I've no idea where it placed the backup. I searched many places in my computer.

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :flowers: :thumbsup:
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Try using System Restore, pick a date prior to the download.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 genius12

genius12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

System Restore was already disabled on my computer before because it slowed down computer as wel as took valuable space in my disk. So to make my computer faster I had already disabled it.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

UPX is short for Ultimate Packer for eXecutables. You can download latest from http://upx.sourceforge.net/
You can compress almost any executable(.exe, .dll. ocx etc) using this tool.

Since UPX is a command line tool, there are many tools that provide GUI interface for UPX. UPX Frontend is one of them.

If you opt for making backups UPX will make backups in the same folder as the original executable file but with extension changed. For example, if you compres "winword.exe", and opt for backup, the backup will be made as "winword.ex~" in the same folder as the original "winword.exe". To restore from backup, all you have to do is delete the new compressed "winword.exe" that UPX created, and rename "winword.ex~" to "winword.exe".

In case you do not opt for making backups, UPX also lets you decompress the packed executables. The command line option is " -d". Refer to UPX documentation for more information.

You should not use UPX or any other executable compression tool, for executables containing digital signatures or methods to calculate the checksum before running.

#5 genius12

genius12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

OK, now I that I know how the backup works. Where will I find the backup then. I happened to try it on Microsoft Office folder. So what I exactly I did was selected the entire Microsoft Office folder from UPX Frontend and then it compressed all the .ddl's,.exe's and .ocx's files in it. So since I used it to compress an entire folder full of files not just one .exe or .dll or.ocx file then where is the backup located in this situation. Meaning if I compress just one file the backup will be placed for that in the same folder it's located in and I understand that. But if I had selected virtually the entire Microsoft Office folder then obviously all .dll's,'exe's,'ocx's in the folder will be compressed so then will each of the file compressed in the folder have its own backup or if the entire folder's backup was made then where it is located. Because this is not one file it's a folder it self being compressed. So in this case where is the backup located?

THANKS FOR ANY REVIEWS SO FAR
AND ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. :flowers: :thumbsup:

#6 genius12

genius12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

C'MON PEOPLE REPLY. I NEED A SOLUTION HERE!!
:thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

That disk space you saved isn't helping you now. :flowers:

Just for the record, I don't respond to being yelled at. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

Hi,

Method 1
Use uinstaller tool from microsoft to remove Office 2000 installation. Then you can re-install office 2000.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=offxp

Method 2
You will have to rename manually all the dll and exe files in the MS office folder.

Warning: Create a System Restore point as a precaution!

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 repeatedly as computer boots (immediately after BIOS messages) and choosing Safe mode from menu.

Open console using StartMenu->Run and type cmd

change path to your MS office folder by giving a cd command similar to (depends on your office 2000 folder path, change accordingly)
cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office9

Now, first make a backup of files by giving following two commands :
copy *.dll *.dll1
copy *.exe *.exe1

Next restore from the backup, using
copy /Y *.dl~ *.dll
copy /Y *.ex~ *.exe

Reboot into normal mode, and see if Office works now. If yes wait for a week to see all is ok before you can delete all *.dl1, *.ex1, *.ex~, *.dl~ files from the office folder.

If something goes wrong, you can always use System Restore :thumbsup:

I hope it works :flowers:

Edited by Romeo29, 27 February 2009 - 03:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users