Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatted my Hard Drive, Now I have no Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Canuck5056

Canuck5056

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

I just wiped my hard drive on my other computer due to some problems I was having. I installed ME with no problem, but I can't get onto the internet. I have a cable internet connection, and the modem appears to be fine, but there is no internet on my computer. I phoned the Customer Support for my cable company, and they said my machine wasn't recognizing my network card or something like that. They said I needed to find out what my network card was but they were very vague about what to do next.
I thought I might just need to reinstall certain drivers, based on various help sites I have read, but ME itself is no help, and I do not have the CD's for the modem or the CPU or whatever I need it for, so I don't have access to the drivers. I have absolutely no idea what to do, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that even if I could find a way to get the drivers off this computer via the internet, there is no way I could get them to the other computer since this computer doesn't have a CD burner.

Edited by Canuck5056, 04 June 2005 - 07:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:10 PM

Hi Canuck5056 and welcome to BC

You might get lucky and be able to install the ME drivers for the network card. Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and double click the Add New Harware icon and let it search. It may find the NIC. Let it search for plug and play and then non plug and play. If it finds something click Details and write it down, and then let windows find the drivers. Ignore any errors about the ME CD and point the search to C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System and C:\Windows\INF.

If you have a floppy, download Belarc. That might identify your Network Card and Motherboard. With that information we can find the drivers, or another solution.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users