Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install of printer resulted in, Safely Remove Hardware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

Hello all,
Truth be told I haven't done much messing around to see why its there, but as stated, the SRH option starts with my profile and always lets me know that if i want to remove the new printer/scanner/card reader, I can safely do so?
There does seem to be other symptoms related to this though. Upon requesting a print job, it seems that maybe the default xp print prog. starts at the same time as the HP prog. does. I get a error saying that the print failed and then the printing starts and finishes with no more, boo hoo.
Upon clicking the print icon in task bar, to print this page. I get the open prog in windows task bar on desk top and then the preview with HP header opens, giving options and such. I click start print, and the window disappears to then reappears at end of print. No problem.
Right clicking on the blueish area around the text area, brings up the print option along with others in what seems to be windows based selection box. The print box comes up and I select print. The HP print prog. comes up much slower but the print goes well.
All this seems like pointless babble to me after doing so without a hitch, but there are times that after the HP prog. shuts down after successfully completing, that the system reports that the print failed?
So I,m wondering if, say in photo or other progs I'm still dealing with another printing program still installed, even though I did go through and tried to remove them(or it). Previously we had a scanner SCSI w/ a separate printer after it . Now the HP C5180 usb, holds everything including a card reader. Getting back to the question though. Why would the SRH program start up and ask if I would like to remove the Printer and or Mass storage devise (card reader ?)but not the scanner, all the time?
I still find the old scanner suite in add remove progs. But upon clicking it to remove, it just reappears with the option to remove again. Maybe unrelated though. :thumbsup:

Edited by PCwarrior, 24 February 2009 - 07:52 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

Did you hook up the printer before installing the software? Most USB printers have you install the software first

the default xp print prog. starts at the same time as the HP prog. does. I get a error saying that the print failed and then the printing starts and finishes

In the Control Panel>Printers, is the HP printer the default printer?

I,m wondering if, say in photo or other progs I'm still dealing with another printing program still installed

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Search for any thing that concerns the old printer and click the box and remove it

I still find the old scanner suite in add remove progs. But upon clicking it to remove, it just reappears

If it's still in use, it might not uninstall, check what is running at Startup. Is there a HP icon on the taskbar?

Edited by garmanma, 25 February 2009 - 10:49 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Some printers tend to leave behind running services, even after they have been uninstalled properly (my experience with Lexmark printers).

You may want to check and stop such if it relates to any printers which are not prevalent.

This may be of some value: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Thank you both for the quick reply.
Garmanma, we have had the new unit for 8 months or so, so I really don't recall positively the sequence of install. Only that I tried to install all related drivers and software for old SCSI units before hand.
The new HP printer, has a check mark in control panel/printers&fax section. It is labeled 0 , Ready , but both are grey, not black. Also are listed: W/printer icons ; Microsoft office document/Image writer, with a 0 in grey.
: Microsoft XPS Document Writer , with a 0 in black , and a ready in black as well. This doesn't look right, neither of the two other printer icons have a black circled wht check mark next to them, but the text under the HP unit is grey?
As far as still being in use, well I'm not positive. I do go into msconfig often and have many start ups (apps) turned off. Seems any time something new goes in to the system it wants front row. But at any rate I will study the running services closer. Services I find the most daunting to pick what to stop from.
No I don't have the HP icon in the task bar as a start up app. Even when I ask for a print from the tool bar print icon I don't get the HP icon in desk top running app. box, only a generic printer looking icon, but the HP preview comes up to select properties and such.
Hamluis; Thanks . I'll give that a read.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#5 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

Garmanma, Just a point of clarification if I may. I took a look at the read me for the prog. that you suggest, and it states several places that it only removes the install files? not the prog. or apps. them selves. Would doing so remove indicators that a program was still there? What can you tell me of your, experiences with this app. .

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

If you right-click on the HP printer, does it give you the option to make it the default printer?

As far as the utility goes,sometimes when you uninstall a program, you leave orphaned entries around. This utility finds and deletes them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

I finally made it back to the issue today, arg. But here is what i found.
Related to your question about the HP being available as the default, I searched through , control panel/pinters/ then right clicked on the HP and got no default request. But Its my belief that the check mark indicates that it is?
Then I went in to control p./system/hardware/device mngr/ and there I have 2, IEEE 1284.4 listings ?
The first is; IEEE 1284.4 compatible printers.
1) HP Photosmart C5100 series (DOT4PRT)
2) Photosmart C5100 (DOT4PRINT) both listed just like that.
The second; IEEE 1284.4 devices.
1) HP Photosmart C5100 series (DOT4) alone.
All have printer icons preceding them. And are in two, separate tree branches as I mentioned. Something just seems odd there?

Under, Ports (COM & LPT) I find, Com port (COM1),"" (COM2) and ECP printer Port (LPT1) should the ECP be disabled since I'm using USB printer? may have nothing to do with issue at hand?

But more to the point with the remove hardware icon is ; The " Safely Remove Mass Storage Device- Drive(F:).
It's listed as the second item to be removed and all I found so far in device manager that may represent it is under; Disk drives/ HP Photosmart C5180 USB Device. Doesn't seem like something I'd remove though?

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Today I went in to Device Manager as hamluis suggested, and found that the old scanner was indeed still listed (hidden). So I removed all listed hardware related to it. I then tried to remove its related program in add/remove prog.. to no avail. Just comes right back, so it may still have a active service I'm not seeing in start up. I have Procexp & Auto runs, to examine system with, and still don't see it.
I downloaded WICU as well today, and found nothing obviously connected with the old printer or scanner. The text at the top of the utility is a bit scary( the whole reinstall if you oops). The descriptions of installed items is real short and seams to have version numbers listed, after the short text description. Is that what the numbers in ( ) represent?
I tried removing one instance of my new USB printer listed in device manager, in show hidden mode. But under non plug and play, I found it listed with a yellow ! . So I did as a prompt asked to fix it, and unplugged it, then replugged it in. That cleared up the ! , but the printer was re-added to the duo of items listed under the safely remove hardware (in task bar) icon.

A special thank you to hamluis. I found many hardware items listed that had no business being there, And found that an old vid card had been removed long before I got the PC as well( I'll go look with driver cleaner pro, to remove the drivers as well) . Hopefully my system thanks you and your link as well, for the reduced clutter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users