Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My girlfriend has a broken registry

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robot7290

Robot7290

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hi, this is my forst post at this forum, so I'll try to keep it fairly simple. :huh:

My girlfriend has a old laptop she got from a friend. It's running Vista, and it was doing alright until she accidentally downloaded a rootkit or a worm (we're not exactly sure). Whatever was downloaded locked her out of her computer on her next restart. When she tried to start up her computer, it would boot normally, but before it finished booting, a black screen with some words saying something about a registry error (it only flashed on screen for half a second or so) appeared, and then restarted her computer. This cycle continues indefinitely until one manually shuts off the power by holding down the power button.

Now, I have one of those "pop your laptop hard drive in this case and it becomes an external hard drive" things. I've been able to go into her hard drive by plugging it into another computer, just in case we need to pull the information off and wipe her hard drive. Is there any possibly way to remotely fix her hard drive? And if not, what would be the fastest/most economical way to wipe and restore her hard drive? (By the way, we do not have anything to install it with, given it was an old friends.) Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

The fastest thing would be to use the external case to hook to another computer and save her data.
Presuming that there's a valid Windows product key sticker on the laptop, contact the manufacturer and ask for a set of restore disks. They're cheaper and more complete than a retail copy of Windows Vista (they contain the specific drivers whereas the retail Vista may not have them).

Once you get them, follow the instructions to boot from them and follow the instructions to wipe everything out and reinstall to the factory specifications.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Robot7290

Robot7290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yes, it's Genuine. Okay, so, I'll transfer her data onto a safe computer, thank you :huh: Is there any way to completely wipe and install a copy of Windows Vista onto her computer without buying anything? I don't mind using torrents...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

It's too late to do it now as HP tattoos their disks with the mobo make and model.
The cheapest solution is a set of recovery disks from HP. Last I checked they were under $20 US and you could get them in 4 or 5 days.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Robot7290

Robot7290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

Okay, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users