Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Demands Laid Off Employees Pay Money Back

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

More proof the Microsoft is a soulless corporation.

Microsoft has sent a letter to some of the 1,400 workers laid off last month telling them they were mistakenly paid too much severance.

And they have 14 days to give back the overpayment.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-w...ml?hpid=topnews

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

Looks like they had a change of heart: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=13333
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Only due to the bad press it caused. I still think MS ought to be tasered.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

They're not the only one's who do this. We're having similar problems with layoffs in my section of the country - underpayments, overpayments, non-payments.

Let's move this over to the Speak Easy where everyone can have a say....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Be that as it may.

Taser. It solves so much for so little. :thumbsup:

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I'd scream if I received this letter from Microsoft.

Dear former employee,

Due to a svchost.exe error, we have mistakenly paid you too much severance. You have 14 days to give back the overpayment or we will disable your copy of Microsoft Windows using the Windows Genuine Advantage component.

Rest assured that our technical team are working on a patch that will be distributed through Microsoft Update in order to make sure that this will not happen again.

Sincerely yours,

Bill Gates

Edited by Lloyd T, 24 February 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

More proof the Microsoft is a soulless corporation.

Really, why? If it were your business, and your money, and your accountants made a mistake, wouldn't you ask for your money back? I sure would, and I know you would too. I am in the business of making money, not giving it away. The fact that Microsoft has deep pockets does not make it any less right for them to ask for their money back, nor is it out of the norm. What does it say about the character of those people who got more money than they should and didn't say anything? If the bank gives you more money than you have in your account, you can bet your boots that they are going to come after it. What do you suppose the consequences are going to be for the employees that screwed up the severance checks? How about the developers that wrote the program to calculate severance pay.

#8 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

It is considered theft to keep severance or retirement money that one is not entitled to. If Microsoft had allowed for repayments over time on an installment plan, there would not have been such a stink.

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

You hit the nail on the head,Groovicus,with your Post. :thumbsup:
What right has anybody got,to keep money, that is not rightfully theirs?
My thoughts are,fuzzywuzzy6,that Microsoft would agree to installments,if the truth is known.
What one reads on the Net,is not always the Gospel truth.

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Well, the difficulty with this issue is that severance pay is an arbitrary amount of money. Therefore it is difficult to apply the "bad guy" label to either party. I don't believe any company is required to pay it in the first place. It seems odd that Microsoft didn't just keep quiet and correct the problem in their billing department to avoid "over-payments" in the future.

In my opinion, it was Microsoft's mistake and they should have eaten it.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#11 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Often the multiple formulas involved in calculating severance (depending on the benefits the employee had and various contract provisions in effect at different times during the employment period), the various units within MS would have had trouble calculating the amounts precisely, and most of the employees would have had an even more difficult time.

Quite often, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or the hand on the forehead, or the hand on the backside, etc.

#12 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

Well, the difficulty with this issue is that severance pay is an arbitrary amount of money. Therefore it is difficult to apply the "bad guy" label to either party. I don't believe any company is required to pay it in the first place. It seems odd that Microsoft didn't just keep quiet and correct the problem in their billing department to avoid "over-payments" in the future.

In my opinion, it was Microsoft's mistake and they should have eaten it.

They did eat it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users