Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bmhede

bmhede

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

My comp. starts very slow..what can I eliminate on startup and not cause any problems?
windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

You may consult Bleeping Computer Startup Programs Database and decide for yourself.

The items with [N] not needed to run at startup . The items with [U] are not needed unless the user use them frequently:

The best way is to try first to configure those programs not to start up with Windows. You can install an application handling startup entries to disable the entries you can't disable from program options.

Good applications handling startup entries:

1. Startup Inspector for Windows for both novice and expert user: http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php : It helps manage Windows® startup applications.

2. Startup Control Panel with easier interface than Autoruns: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

I use Spybot to handle the startup entries, that program makes it really easy. There is a tools section that has the startup entries in it and you can just uncheck the ones that you do not want to start when the computer does. As long as you do not delete the entry, if you later you decide you want the program to start with the computer, you can just go back and check it.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

I use Spybot to handle the startup entries, that program makes it really easy. There is a tools section that has the startup entries in it and you can just uncheck the ones that you do not want to start when the computer does. As long as you do not delete the entry, if you later you decide you want the program to start with the computer, you can just go back and check it.

Spybot and autoruns are for advanced users. They list also Windows startup items. If you uncheck some items you may get an unbootable computer. As long as you know what you are disabling it is OK.

For less advanced users those startup applications are safer to use.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,688 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

How many DVDs have you tried?

What is the last system change (updating, installing, etc.) you made?

Is there a chance the device is dirty?

Do you see your DVD-ROM in the device manager?

If you go to run > My Computer do you see your DVD-ROM drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users