Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Dell 9100 Processor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeremiahbear

jeremiahbear

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 9100. It is a 2005 model. This is the processor listed for it. 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 630, SKT-T, Male. I do not know the model of mother board. I have 2gb ram. It uses ddr2 4200 533mhz.

Most of my life I have not been a big fan of Dell computers, this one has never given me a lick of trouble however. I would like to know if I can upgrade this processor without having to upgrade the motherboard, and if such an upgrade is going to give it any substantial noticeable boost, worthy of spending money on just such an upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

It's hard to say really. You do have the proper socket for newer dual-core and even quad-core processors, however since the system was made in 2005, these multi-core processors weren't out yet. I checked the dell website, and they had a bios update in 2008 to support newer processors, but still this may be only for the dual-core Pentium D's which wouldn't give you much of a performance increase at all. I really don't think I would chance an expensive processor upgrade that may be a 50/50 chance of working or not. Plus, you may not even notice the difference if you're just a web surfer type of user.

Is your computer going slow doing anything specific? What are the typical uses of the computer? Making sure there aren't any unnecessary programs running in the background, deleting unused or old programs and files, and defragging your hard drive can help give your system a little extra oomph.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 jeremiahbear

jeremiahbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

It's not slow at all. If it ever gets slow, it is because I am doing too much on it at one time. If I am using Microsoft Office products and the internet and media player and some other application, it is slow. Probably more of a memory issue but it never really seems to be lacking in the ram dept.

I went on Dell also and looked at my system build today, after I posted, and although I consider myself to know just enough to get in trouble on a computer, I couldn't tell what I had or what I could upgrade to. Let's just say I want to dabble with it and learn. What is the information I need to know about mine, and look for in another processor.

What if I want a dual core just so I can have it. Kind of stupid isn't it. I know.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

If you do a google for Dimension 9100 CPU upgrade you'll find that most indicate that it will work with a Pentium D or Dual Core with a 800MHz bus.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=...art=10&sa=N

the Dell motherboard specs indicate dual core support also.

The thing is it appears you need the newest BIOS update .
It has "Support for new CPU micro code" .

Personally, it being a Dell, I'd be more inclined to sell it as is, add some bucks to what I get [the $ that would have been spent upgradong will help] & get a newer unit .
There is nothing wrong with Dell computers, it's just that the Dimension 9100 is getting a little long in the tooth to invest much in upgrades.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

I agree with fairjoeblue, it's not worth the price and effort to upgrade that PC. It would be better to simply sell the PC and use the money to put towards getting a new desktop. It's most likely not the RAM causing issues, you have more than enough.

3939.png

#6 jeremiahbear

jeremiahbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Great! Ok, thank you everyone for your information and help.

I always get solid answers when I come to the forum.

You guys are very much appreciated.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

<<What if I want a dual core just so I can have it. Kind of stupid isn't it. I know.>>

Wrong :thumbsup:...that's why most of us have a dual-core or quad-core capability.

No one ever said that we had to justify these things, that's why we're considered "enthusiasts" :huh:, not rational minds :huh:.

All of my earlier systems worked to my satisfaction...I only have dual-core systems (2) now because the price became right and the technology made it reasonable for me to get low-level dual-core capability without hurting myself financially.

Right now, I'm mentally trying to tell myself that I don't need a quad-core system...while telling myself (at the same time) that I owe myself a new system purchase in 2009 (maybe about the time that Windows 7 is ready for prime time).

My computers are my toys, which also have very useful capabilities which I enjoy (learning device, communication tool, multimedia center).

At least...that's how I look at it B).

I suggest...rather than upgrade the Dell...get a new motherboard and CPU and RAM...and put it in yourself. After doing that, you'll not worry about ever justifying it...and you'll be prepared for the next time :).

Louis

Edit: I am not considering those "professionals" who deal with computers as their livelihood and who have a valid need for some system capability.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

While multi core processors are faster the sad fact is not much software is encoded to run on, or take advantage of, multicore processing.

I doubt anybody can name 3 programs that are actually written to run on a "quad core" CPU.

As for Windows 7 , I tried the Beta version.
From what I could see it's pretty much Vista cleaned up & repackaged.
The biggest deal is less UAC balongy.

When XP dies I will be using either Ubuntu or LinuxMint.

With me it's a matter of the OS keeping in constant contact with MS.
It is none of MS's business what I use my computer for, what I install, or what I upgrafe.
I don't use my computer to do anything wrong, it's just the principle of it to me.

"rather than upgrade the Dell...get a new motherboard and CPU and RAM...and put it in yourself"
The reason I said , " it being a Dell, I'd be more inclined to sell it"

Is that being a Dell more then likely it has proprietary front panel connectors.
That makes a simple motherboard upgrade much harder !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 25 February 2009 - 03:30 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users