Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

doit yourself 4th plug for UPS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm wondering if you have one of those UPS with only 3 battery backed outlets, can you "cheat" by hooking 2 low power gizmos to an extension cord and plugging into one outlet?
I'm thinking battery backup for modem or network switch or router. I'm only talking about those 2 second power glitches that lose your network connection.

Is there some interaction where it would be dangerous to the equipment?

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

The idea of a UPS is to provide you with enough time to safely close or save data before you have to turn off the computer. The UPS is rated in amp hours, and how long it will support the load plugged into it depends on how big the load is, so the less that you have plugged in the longer it will maintain power to the equipment. I would only plug in what is needed to operate the computer, I wouldn't plug in a printer, router, external modem, or any other external peripheral devices as these aren't needed to close the computer safely.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the reply but I know what the idea of a UPS is. I only wondered since these gizmos use ac/dc converter if some interaction was possible. I plug in things that would get hosed by a 2 second power out as I mentioned. Printers and scanners don't fit that category in my mind. However I see no good reason to drop my connection because of a 2 second power glitch. Anyway, I plugged the stuff in. Works great!

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users