Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Requirements for a Sapphire X1950 GT 256MB AGP Video Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 k2apacherecon

k2apacherecon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

I appreciate the help this forum has given me on previous posts regarding video cards. I have learned a lot and am finally to a point where I am ready to upgrade my video card. My system specs are below:

Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz HT/533MHz/512K L2 Cache, Northwood
2GB Kingston ValueRAM SDRAM DDR 400 (PC3200)
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA 100 Hard Drive
Thermaltake 430w 12V rail = 18A
ASUS GeForce n6600 256MB AGP Video Card
Soundblaster 24-bit Live Sound Card
2 Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621 Drives
Floppy Disk Drive
ViewSonice 19" VX922 LCD Display
Logitech MX Laser Cordless Mouse
Standard Keyboard

The video card I am looking to install is a SAPPHIRE 100209L Radeon X1950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card. I understand that this card would be one of the fastest video cards I can install in my aging P4 system and a significant upgrade from the nVidia GeForce n6600 256MB I have now.

My biggest concern is the power requirements of the X1950GT. I have read some reviews via newegg (there's only two), and some other websites indicating you need to have a strong power supply for this card. In all my readings I have yet to see a recommended power supply though. I currently have a Thermaltake 430w 12V = 18A installed and I am not sure that is enough. So my first question is, do any of you out there have any experience with this card, or have an opinion on what type of PSU I should have, or is my current PSU adequate?

My second question has to do with frame rates. I see a lot of people on various forums indicating the frame rates they get when playing games. One guy had a video card and was getting 20 fps with it, then he upgraded to another video card and is now getting 60 fps. So, I am trying to figure out how I can determine the frame rate I am getting from my current card with the games that I play. Can somebody point the way? I want to see what I am getting now and compare that to what I will get with the X1950GT. I imagine it should be significant, hopefully. Since I have no idea what frame rate is considered good, average, bad, etc...I want to use this experience as a benchmark to get an idea for myself.

I look forward to your replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

For a power supply, minimum I would suggest is a 400 watt with 26a on the +12V rail. However I would recommend a 500 watt with 30a on the +12V rail, just to be on the safe side.

For ATI cards, you can use a program called ATI Tray Tools. I use the program, and I love it! However, with Nvidia, you can use the program fraps: http://www.fraps.com/.

FPS as you may know means Frames Per Second. A higher fps means smoother gameplay. 25-30fps is usually the mark you don't want to go below, but in some games it's tolerable. 60fps is said to be the max the eye can see. Anything above 60 is overkill (some fussier people may disagree with me though).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

That P4 is around 80-85 watts loaded, X1950GT~80 watts loaded+ another 30 watts for the rest of the system. Going to be close with that power supply no matter what it's label says.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 k2apacherecon

k2apacherecon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

#5 k2apacherecon

k2apacherecon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

For a power supply, minimum I would suggest is a 400 watt with 26a on the +12V rail. However I would recommend a 500 watt with 30a on the +12V rail, just to be on the safe side.

For ATI cards, you can use a program called ATI Tray Tools. I use the program, and I love it! However, with Nvidia, you can use the program fraps: http://www.fraps.com/.

FPS as you may know means Frames Per Second. A higher fps means smoother gameplay. 25-30fps is usually the mark you don't want to go below, but in some games it's tolerable. 60fps is said to be the max the eye can see. Anything above 60 is overkill (some fussier people may disagree with me though).

OK, so the guy I'm getting the X1950 GT from tells me the amperage on the 12V rail doesn't matter as long as the amperage across all the rails totals the minimum required amps for the card. I didn't think it worked that way. If this video card's specs indicate a minimum of 28amps does that mean on the 12V rail only, or the total for all rails?

I may be able to get my hands on a Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX PSU - Black w/UV Green here soon. It's brand new and the guy selling it is only asking $30.00 (it lists for $149.99 on Ultra's website). Seems like a great deal and hard to pass up, but I am trying to be smart about this and not jump the gun without some research.

I have reviewed the stats for this PSU at Ultra's website and it sounds really good. Now, I have never heard of this company before (not that that means anything). I believe PSU manufacturers are broken down into tiers as far as the quality of their products are concerned. I believe brands such as; Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec, PC Power are good brands, but there are plenty more. I am curious to know if Ultra is considered a good brand, average brand, or garbage.

Any thoughts?

Also, can you tell me how to determine the frame rate (fps) I'm getting when I play UT 2004?

Edited by k2apacherecon, 24 February 2009 - 07:56 PM.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

That power supply seems pretty good, for $30, I would get it.

I forgot to mention that fraps program will measure your FPS.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users