Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network problem with Windows 2000 and XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sandro55906

Sandro55906

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Alex and this is my first post, so forgive me if I don't get everything right. :flowers:
I have a problem with a very simple network.
There are 2 PC, one, a desktop, running Windows 2000 and the other, a laptop, running XP, they are connected on a network trough a hub and do not use internet.
For some reason I can't find, they don't see each other. :inlove: I checked all the cables, the hub and they are ok.
From the 2K going to explorer, I can see the name of the other one, the laptop, but when I try to open it, clicking on the + sign, it gives me error. :trumpet: (Sorry I forget what error and I don't have access to the PC's for some time)
The weird thing is that if I ping from the XP it gives me the address of the 2K but nothing shows up on explorer when I look for it on the networks. :bike:
As I said above the PC's don't use internet, they have the same name as workgroup and these addresess 192.168.0.2 for the 2K, and 192.168.0.3 for the XP.
I hope I explained myself well enough.
Can anybody help?
A big thanks to all. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sandro55906, 24 February 2009 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Few other points to review On each computer, did you permit selected folders to be shared? File sharing also requires to permit NetBios in the TCP/IP properties of the network adapters, far as I recall. And in the properties also enable filesharing and Microsoft networks. XP permits sharing to any GUEST account, so enable that. W2K is more complicated in that you may have to setup permissions for specific users on the folders. Error you get is likely \\anothercomputer is inaccessible blah blah blah Have you tried mapping a drive? I suspect that'll fail as well, just can't recall how it was with W2K.

Edited: each computer should have a different name but the workgroup name should be common to all - this note regarding your mention about "same name as workgroup" where I'm not sure what you mean.

Also, can each computer ping every other computer?
Is there a firewall in place which normally would block NetBios traffic - so you should permit it for the trusted computers.

Edited by garmanma, 26 February 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Sandro55906

Sandro55906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

Thank you for your replay. Yes each computer has a different name but a common workgroup name. Both computers have folders or even the entire C:\ hard disk shared.
The Windows firewall is disabled in both computers and so is the Symantec/Norton antivirus. Yes the error I get is something like "not able to access...."
I can ping from XP and find the W2K, but not the opposite. The W2K ping doesn't find the XP.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the W2K has two ethernet cards, however the one with not cable connected is disable, so I think it shouldn't interfere.
Another thing, the system on the laptop with XP has been reinstalled. Everything was working before, but not afterwards. :flowers:
It might be a small little problem, which I'm not able to pinpoint....
I'll verify again if sharing is enable, but I'm sure it is.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 February 2009 - 06:02 PM.
Remove unnecessary quote. ~ OB

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

On XP, confirm the settings. It's gotta be there.
Take any folder in Explorer, Properties, Sharing - review the settings.
XP normally wants you to drag a folder to be shared to some special "Shared" folder but I don't do that and forgot how it was.

Then review network things.
Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network connections, right click on LAN, select Properties.
Look in the Connect using box - this should be the ethernet connection.
Place checks for the items: Client for MS Networks, File and Printer sharing, and TCP/IP
Now select TCP/IP and click Properties, then Advanced, then WINS and here Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Later in your Windows Firewall restrict this to your LAN !!! This is very, very important.

In Control panel, Administrative tools, Services -make sure the related services are running. I'm not sure this list of three is complete :thumbsup:
Workstation, Computer Browser, Server.

Don't forget to enable the Guest account on XP.

I wouldn't share whole drive. As a matter of fact if I recall, XP won't permit it for security reasons.
I don't think W2K disabled adapter enters into the picture. If you can go out to the internet on the one of those two, I'd think it's ok.

I'm sorry my message looks like a mess of some hypertext. I edited it and that;s what came out - which is my puzzle to solve :flowers:

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

Ah! I missed an important part of your message.
If you can't ping XP from W2k, then all I just wrote is premature. So hold off on sharing till we figure out the ping part first.

Are you able to use XP for internet surfing?
Do you have in the router a device display to tell what computers are connected?
Perhaps there's a fault of connection someplace.
Does rebooting of XP not help?

#6 Sandro55906

Sandro55906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:31 AM

Ah! I missed an important part of your message.
If you can't ping XP from W2k, then all I just wrote is premature. So hold off on sharing till we figure out the ping part first.

Are you able to use XP for internet surfing?
Do you have in the router a device display to tell what computers are connected?
Perhaps there's a fault of connection someplace.
Does rebooting of XP not help?

Thank you for your suggestions.
I did try rebooting both PC's, no avail at all.
They do not use internet, actually they don't have a modem nor a router for the network. (it's a small office with 2 Pc's and an external hard drive for back ups)
Yes they can surf with the XP. For the XP only, they use a wireless lan card with the local cellular company (this is Italy) and surf very seldom.
I'm thinking that there might be a bad connection somewhere. On the hub evrything seems to be working, at least the leds are on. I'll keep trying.

#7 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

What type of cabling do you use to connect your PC to the hub (Crossover, Straight-through)?
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#8 Sandro55906

Sandro55906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

What type of cabling do you use to connect your PC to the hub (Crossover, Straight-through)?

I use straight-through cables.
I will check the netbios and all the settings again tomorrow.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users