Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI X48C Platinum

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi Guys

I just want to know about this MSI board because I am considering upgrading my PC.

I want to know , on my friends motherboard , It says ATI crossfire ready , does it mean onboard graphics or do I have to put in a graphics card? It says it is DDR 2 and DDR 3 Complaint, Can I mix the modules and what happens if I don't use the switch card , and will the switch card be in the package?

Regards

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

You can't mix the DDR2 & DDR3

You would need a matched set of video cards for ATI Crossfire.

A lot of info about the motherboard here,

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/ms...tinum-i48x.html
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

Some crossfire enabled motherboards allow you to crossfire the onboard card with a dedicated card, however this is not one of them you need two ATI video card. No, they do not necessarily need to have the exact same card, from my research they need to be in the same series, and closer to model number as possible, like a 4870 and a 4850, however it is limited like SLIs, like memory, if you have a 512 mb video card and a 1 gb video card it will only use 515 mb on both cards. For best performace, it is definetly recomended using two cards that are the same. Also, I would recomend a different motherboard, I have had nothing but trouble with MSI boards, I would recomend gigabyte or ASUS motherboards.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

Also, I would recomend a different motherboard, I have had nothing but trouble with MSI boards, I would recomend gigabyte or ASUS motherboards.

Yeah, you hang around building systems for a few years and you tend to avoid the "3 letter" boards. To be fair though, I have an ECS with an old AMD Barton that just won't die. I use it as a dedicated download machine and it just keeps going and going and......................................

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

I've had just as many Asus & Gigabyte fail as MSI & ECS.

In my opinon Asus has gotten worse then either of the "3 letter" names.

From what I've expierence Asus has been cranking out a lot of probmatic junk lately !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

FWIW: I've used various ECS/PC Chips since 1998 or so...and never had a problem with any of them. In fact, regardless of maker...my system hardware problems have been confined to:

1 bad memory module from Crucial (quickly/easily RMA'd and replaced)

1 IBM known bad hard drive (again, quickly/easily RMA'd and replaced)

I could say lots of bad things about both the Asus, ECS, and PC Chips websites...but I usually find what I need.

I think that sometimes we all overgeneralize from experiences that may have occurred in the 1990s...and forget that we are approaching 2010.

Louis

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

I guess everyones experience is different. I have never seen or had a gigabyte or ASUS board go bad (ive never owned ASUS but several of my friends have them and ive done work on systems with them) I have seen my brother order MSI and ECS board after board and watched them all die or have problems, one by one. same with other modern gaming systems. now I do have some old socket 7 ECS boards that wont die, but anything ive seen ECS newer then that fail. Did they lose their quality control? thats my question. lol. if you have an ECS or MSI board that works great, thats fantastic, but personally I stick with boards I trust-gigabyte, ASUS, or Biostar. those arnt the only reliable brands out there, im sure theirs others, but those are the ones I trust so I stick with em.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

It's all personal preference and past history. I have no complaints about my old MSI - AMD build
I know people that loathe ECS
My new pet peeve is Abit. More for support rather than the board itself
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

I'd like to chime in on this post. I too build custom computers. I just built an MSI K9N Neo V3 a year ago, recently upgraded the processor from AMD 4200+ to 5600+, it's rock solid,but, it's not a gaming rig. The graphics card is an EVGA 8600 GTS, dual monitor capability. I believe, any board that must take on the rigors of a true Gamer will fail much sooner than normal. My rig is the ECS "Black Series" A 780 GM-A which is a relatively new mainboard. I just added 2 more gigs of Ram 800 Mhz, now I am running 4 gigs Corsair 5-5-5-18 latency. 32 bit system. Asrock and Asus make great boards, like someone just said we are nearing 2010. I'm no gamer except Chess, I use my rig as an HTPC, Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users