Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

second sata

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iron mum

iron mum

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

I added a second sata which I am going to put Vista on.
My first sata has xp and I'm planning on keeping it for the moment.
The problem is that my new sata shows up in the bios and hardware manager but not in my computer, when I click on my comp I can see the first drive © my DVD and CD but no second hard drive.
What heve I missed?, I don't plan on raid and set them as two seperat drives (I think).
Any help will be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

Any newly installed, unformatted hard drive...will show up in the BIOS and in Disk Management...but cannot be reflected in My Computer/Explorer until it is formatted/partitioned.

Once you install Vista, the partition/drive will be visible in My Computer.

Louis

#3 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Thanks hamluis, thats what I thought but what was confusing me was that when I tried to install Vista it only found my first sata.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Since you are installing Vista on a separate drive...I would just disconnect the drive with XP and try the Vista install.

I try to eliminate all points of contention when I'm doing an install.

If your BIOS supports RAID mode, make sure that this is not enabled. That's the one instance where the system could see two drives as one and be working perfectly.

Louis

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

Since you are installing Vista on a separate drive...I would just disconnect the drive with XP and try the Vista install.

If your BIOS supports RAID mode, make sure that this is not enabled. That's the one instance where the system could see two drives as one and be working perfectly.

Louis

oh yeah, and it'll trash your Boot sector if you don't unplug it. I've had trouble with it more than once already...

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

Louis

oh yeah, and it'll trash your Boot sector if you don't unplug it. I've had trouble with it more than once already...

That's good info. Thanks I forgot.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#7 iron mum

iron mum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone I got it working, no problems.
The only enoying thing was I had to buy the 64 bit disk from microsoft but my comp is quite happy with Vista.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

Well done...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users