Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SuperNerd1988

SuperNerd1988

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

When I turn my computer on it usually takes several tries to get it to boot. It doesn't even go to the BIOS screen or show the MSI splash screen. Once it boots everything runs fine. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? I fear there is a problem with my mother board.

Some details for my system.

Board: MSI K92A Platinum
CPU: AMD Phenom quad 2.5 GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS2 800 MHz 4 GB
Power Supply: Coolmax 700 W
Video Card: Radeon 4850

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

Any error messages?

No power at all to anything on these attempts?

Does it POST on these occasions?

Your Vista bootloader files could be corrupt/damaged, I suppose.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

"RAM: Corsair XMS2 800 MHz 4 GB"

First, try removing half of the memory

Also, not to be an alarmest, but that motherboard has an issue that could possibly be the cause.

Here is a sample of what I found doing a "Google" for "K92A Platinum problem",

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3599545
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 SuperNerd1988

SuperNerd1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

When it doesn't boot, everything seems to have power. Fans and LEDs turn on, light on DVD drive blinks, etc. but it doesn't POST. When it does POST and continue booting I sometimes get "CMOS checksum bad" errors even though I haven't made any changes to how the hardware is set up. I tried looking at the thread fairjoeblue linked to but I didn't understand a whole lot. This is the first computer I built and I still don't know some of the finer details about how they work.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

In my experience...CMOS checksum errors can be an indicator that the CMOS battery is failing and needs to be replaced.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

I would replace the CMOS battery, can be done for less than $5, available anywhere selling radio/small appliance batteries. A small item that can cause many problems.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

You can ignore any suggestion to write down CMOS settings...that applied some time ago, but doesn't apply today.

Louis

#6 SuperNerd1988

SuperNerd1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

I finally got around to checking the CMOS battery and it read 3.09 V on the multimeter. Another error that has come up a few times talks about too many restarts due to improper overclocking. This confuses me a bit because I have never overclocked my computer. Any other thoughts?

#7 SuperNerd1988

SuperNerd1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

I believe I have found a pattern. If I turn the system on and it doesn't boot and leave it running for a few minutes it will boot on the second attempt. It seems like it needs some time to warm up or something. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:51 PM

Open the case & inspect the motherboard capacitors .
Look for any that look like they're leaking something or notice idf any have a domed top.
If either is present the motherboard is on it's way out.

If neither symptom is present I would suspect the power supply is failing.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

About a decade ago there was an industrial espionage case where a formula for electrolytic capacitors was stolen and used to manufacture millions of these capacitors. As it turns out this formula was flawed and problems were endemic with motherboards to the extent that at the first sign of a problem this became one of the first things to look for. This is not the case anymore, it is getting to the point that it is rare that this is the cause of motherboard problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users