Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

outlook express will not accept password

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 quayhouse

quayhouse

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

ok here goes i moved house on friday so my pc was moved as carefully as poss in my car. ive had internet connected today and went to read mail. password not eing accepted after an hour of trying i decided to delete the account and set up again making sure i had correct settings ad changed password still wont accept password and is driving me mad. i am using xp home and have mail enaled for firewall any ideas?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Are you able to log in to web-based mail for the account?

If you are receiving an error message in OE, please copy then paste the entire message in this topic.
These can be useful in troubleshooting an issue.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Anytime I forget a password (happens often) or have trouble logging onto an account requiring such...I just go to the area where they verify my logon ID and check the "forgot password" box and they email it to me within seconds.

Do you have any problem accessing other sites which require passwords?

Louis

#4 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

hi thanks for your replies yes i can access web based mail and password was name of my cat so i know its right. even when i deleted and added acc with new pass it would not accept. other sites are fine. as viring media made me reset internet explorer i wondered if this had done it but surely recreating acc would sort that?

#5 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

heres the error message im getting:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Try this, repeat the setup process again, following the instructions in the link that follows: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/set-up-pop-email.php
It's quite possible you may have missed something or typoed during the multiple times you have been working on this........ Don't ask me how I know thats possible. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Do as Animal suggested. If that doesn't work read the following to learn more about your error number

Troubleshooting Outlook Express Error 0x800ccc90

I couldn't find a whole lot of helpful info for error number 0x800CCC92

I vaguely recall having the same issue a few months ago, and I think resolving error 0x800ccc90 also fixed the other error number.

PS-Animal, I once spent some time trying to troubleshoot OE after I set it up after a reinstall of XP. I finally located the source of the problem. I had typed in comcast.ent instead of .net
Everytime I had looked at the settings, I failed to notice the typo.
Amazing how quickly an issue gets resolved when you correct the typo.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 February 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#8 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

Try this, repeat the setup process again, following the instructions in the link that follows: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/set-up-pop-email.php
It's quite possible you may have missed something or typoed during the multiple times you have been working on this........ Don't ask me how I know thats possible. :thumbsup:

i konw what you mean i checked all in case i had typoed strangeley enough i hadnt so i followed the steps to reset on virgin media and it still wont accept the password its really annoying me now :flowers:

#9 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

i can now access webmail as when virgin installed internet they got me to reset i.e could this be causing the probs? i dont know what else to try and the zolved links did not help sort it either. they have given me new email addy and linked old one to it so i can get mail thru virgin webmal but created new outlook account and it wont allow me past the password whch i know is correct so im no further forward really anyone else had this?

Edited by quayhouse, 26 February 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

A silly question, but one I have to ask.
When you changed your password, did you do it at whatever page your ISP has set up for that purpose?
You may (or may not) be surprised at the number of people who set up an email client and think they can put in a different password other than the one that was set up when the account was originally created on their ISP website.

#11 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Is your sign-on an authentium process?

I had to disable mine a while back because, every so often, it would refuse to accept my current password. (And, yes, I was typing it correctly.)

Password was accepted for all other ISP and e-mail-related functions provided by that ISP. It was accepted for by webmail, which I accessed on my home pc. The password/log-on mechanism which had been replaced by Authentium was then re-enabled without any efforts on my part.

I had not moved--the Authentium was not working properly. I re-enabled it recently, and it works properly now. As I am not technologically-gifted, I cannot explain why the difficulties occurred.

Try a live chat with your ISP. They will give you several opportunities to identify yourself. Change your password to one of your former cats. One that you can easily remember.

P.S.: I have noticed that if you are using a browser other than the one preferred by your ISP, it does not always accept your password or your internet address as authentic. Try logging in to your ISP before you log into Outlook Express, if that is the case.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 27 February 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#12 quayhouse

quayhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:02 AM

thanks queen-evie and fuzzy wuzzy for the replies, i was using the same password. after much messing i can now access outlook only thng now is i get a box asking which identity i want and a password whch incidentally was my orginal outlook password and the it loads up outlook where i have to type in a new message to get my mail. i also have to have windows messenger in my tray otherwise it wont work as apparently outlook has to use this to run where it never did before and the search on i.e is directing searches on internet to live search which i have not done myself or at least i dont know how if i did as it never went to live search before.

When my isp got me to do a reset of internet explorer i recall eing asked in the tutorial in i.e7 what search engine i wanted and i definately selected google. im seriously thinkng about buying a new pc!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users