Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Neet to format a HD that was Linux

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimras

jimras

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:46 PM

I have two HD's in my computer. I was doing a dual boot with XP on one drive and the other was used just for Linux and now I would like to start using that Linux drive with Windows XP as a backup drive.

I need to reformat it back to NTFS but when I open Windows Explorer, it doesn't see this drive. I don't know how to go about doing the reformat. I was thinking of unplugging the drive that has XP on it and then booting from my XP CD and hopefully, it would find the drive and reformat it, but then it will want to install XP on it and I don't really want to do that. I suppose I could, if I had to.

Will this work? Is there another / better way to go about doing this? Am I our of luck?

Thanks for any advise that you experts could offer.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

What kind of drive is this? If you visit the manufacturers website you can usually find a utility to format, test etc.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

One way I know of to redo this is to insert a Linux install disk, then go to that drive (for heaven's sake don't format the drive with XP!) and start the Linux install. Then when setting up partitions for Linux, tell it to delete the ext2 partition. You can do this with a Linux boot disk, or bootable Linux floppy with Fdisk on it. Supposedly, you can do it with a DOS 5.0 or above boot disk using Fdisk. I'm not sure of the mechanics of the bootloader - or whether it will affect your primary drive.

Here is a thread at TechRepublic that details several ways to do it. I like the last one best, if it works.

#4 jimras

jimras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Herk

Thanks for the suggestion and the link

This looks like the way to go.

I'll give it a try and post the results here.

#5 madestmax

madestmax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:10 AM

Easies why is to download deriks nuke and boot. Boot the drive as master and erase it. make sure that you disconnect the xp harddrive. Or download mad boot disk and gdisk it and format it. Then you can fdisk it to set up partions. But you need windows 98 to make a bootable floppy. Nuke and boot can be burned to cd.

#6 madestmax

madestmax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:16 AM

Also the ultimate boot cd. has all hardrive tools to erase and format harddrives from the manufacturers. Download from majorgeeks.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users