Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc-s health update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

First I would like to say a few words about you people at Bleeping computer.
Im a new member and in short time you helped me tremendously!! :thumbsup:
I was able to solve problem with error 1706 and in process freed up my clock from unknown malware!So I have a correct time again and no more error 1706!
An proposition:
You know everything about pc health.
Will it be possible,that you,moderators, open a topic where,like 5 years ago,mr.Grinler posted fundamentals about pc-s health.
With weekly update.Or twice a month.
Or post a few words that Grinlers fundamentals from 5 years ago are stll actual.
In any case,
Im deply gratefull that you people exist, :flowers:
Best of all,
Aku
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

Although I am unclear about the particular post to which you refer, I suspect that the fundamentals have not changed that much over time, and that if they did, the post would have been updated. If you could provide a link to the post, the staff will certainly review it for accuracy, and notify you by reply to this thread.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 akuigla

akuigla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hello John,
Thanks for your fast response.
Im refering to Grinlers post in -Security-Antivirus,Firewall andPrivacy products and Protection methods-Simple steps to keep your computer secure.
Post is dated jul 30.2004.10:14 am
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#4 akuigla

akuigla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

ps
I like the quote:Whereof one cannot speak,thereof one should be silent.
Will you,please,tell where from is that quote or who said that.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

The quote in it's native language (German) by Ludwig Wittgenstein is: "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen." The English version is a translation attributed to C. K. Ogden.

Is this the Grinler post you were referring to? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

It can be found as 7.0 at the end of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (there is an on-line translation at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/tloph10.txt).

Grinler's post has been archived, and, while the general steps are as valid as ever, the preferred applications have changed (1-3), as one would expect. You might consult a more recent pinned topic about best practices for computer security by Harry Waldron:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123660/best-practices-internet-safety-for-2008/

As computer threats have become more frequent and more sophisticated, one cannot rely on carefully layered software protection alone, and Harry's post includes additional steps to be taken.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 akuigla

akuigla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:12 AM

Hello Animal and John,
Thank you both for your answers.And yes,this is the Grinlers post I was reffering to.
And the wisdom about beeig silent deeply touched me, because, in my opinion,the ability to remain silent,when necessary,is one of the most difficult behavior component to obtain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users