Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan making noise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ngase

ngase

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

A couple weeks ago I woke up and hear a weird noise coming from my laptop. At first I thought it was my hard drive. I did some investigation by following the sound and found it was coming from one of my fans. I tried blowing from both the air intake and output to get as much dust out if that was the source, but it wasn't. Oddly, the fan still spins, but I am afraid it is not at full power and over a period of time my laptop will overheat. The best way I can describe the sound is a soft sputtery and like a little bit of clicking. Yes, that description was horrible, but hopefully it will be enough to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

If you've blown it out and it still makes noise, I'd suggest taking it to a shop for a more detailed look.

If it's still under warranty, it's likely that it'll be covered under the warranty. If not, most small PC shops can open the case and have a look see for a reasonable price.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fail

fail

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

yeah, that sounds like a failing fan / damaged ball bearing. the fan will usually not spin at full speed, then; i know this because it happened twice (in the past years) to my CPU fan. i heard it sounding like you described, and the fan monitoring program told me it was ~3000 rpm and altering a lot, while the CPU was 55+ degrees celcius; with the replacement fan of the same kind (i have them stacked just in case, as my pc runs 24/7), the cpu was back to 50 degrees C and 4000-4500 rpm for the fan.

so, i'd suggest taking the laptop to a shop and have the fan(s) replaced (may as well replace all existing case fans, depending on the price). i heard a good quality fan has a maximum life time of 40.000 hours.

#4 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

I sure hope you meant to put a comma where you put a period. haha a 40 hr fan does not sound good. Thanks for the tip.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

I hope for your sake it's under warranty. Had an X205 apart about 3 weeks ago for the same thing.
Because of the duct work and heatsinks, it's nearly impossible to blow them out from the outside.
They are designed that way so dirt cannot easily get in. It's likely "fail" is correct and the bearings are going in one of the two fans. That notebook is jammed packed inside. It's one of the more complicated ones I've had apart. Replacement of the cpu fan requires everything come out. You have to remove the motherboard and flip it over to replace it. Don't care to do another one of those anytime soon. Talk about wire connections and screws. :thumbsup:

#6 ngase

ngase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

luckily its still under warrenty. Any idea how long it will be from the time I ship it out to the time I get it back? I am a college student and have spring break next week, and it would be great if the time would be circa 7-10 days

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

Depends on who you send it to for warranty work - and that depends on their administrative procedures and their current workload. The best people to tell you this are the people that you're taking it to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

You also want to be sure it goes to an authorized Toshiba dealer. They will have the required warranty documents and quicker access\priority to parts. If you don't know of one in your area, give Toshiba a call and they will direct you to one. Do not take it to any big chain store (Best Buy, etc). A smaller localized Toshiba dealer\repair center would be best.

Edited by HitSquad, 25 February 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

List of authorized repair shops for Satellites
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...r.jsp?subs=tais

Check the temp every once in a while using this free utility
http://www.filehippo.com/download_everest_home/
My Satellite, different model, never goes over 35C.

In Europe 40.000 wil be 40 thousand. In the US it's 40 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users