Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless AP / repeater help needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ncostelloe

ncostelloe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hi guys, need some advice.
I have my modem router downstairs (D-Link DGL-4300). This has an Xbox360 hardwired to it and a laptop wirelessly connected that we (almost) always use downstairs. The problem is we have a PC and a wireless printer (Canon MP620) in the attic, 2 floors up and both floors are concrete. They bith only get a weak signal and keep dropping out.
Now the question. I was thinking the best solution for this is to add a repeater or client AP, namely the D-Link DWL-2100AP. I've read in a number of forums where its worked but just as many where it doesn't. And I know that the DWL-G710 repeater exists and works but it's only 54Mbs and would seem a shame seeing the 4300 and pc network card are both 108Mbs.
1. Can the 2100 be used as a client access point for the upstairs pc and printer and will the 4300 play nicely with it? oh, and I would prefer WPA and not WEP security.
2. If the answer to Q1 is yes, what's the best setup for it? as repeater or client access point? is it true as repeater you can't have WPA and u lose half of the speed? and what happens when u use it as an access point?
3. where is the best place for it? On the first floor or in the attic? or would it be even better to put it in the attic and hardwire the pc and printer to it?
Thanks in advance for your help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ncostelloe

ncostelloe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

Can anyone help me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic