Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firebird SQL - MAGIX Edition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 berkeley

berkeley

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

My supervisor here at the office found this on our program list when she was cleaning up one of the computers and wants to delete it. She made some calls and heard that it was a database for something and that it was a potential security issue.

I realize that this is something that is for our MAGIX Photostory software, but will the program work without it? Why is it a security issue? I can't get anyone to answer me at support for the company, so I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. My supervisor really really wants to get rid of it, but it seems necessary.

Anyone familiar with this? Any help appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

A more in-depth description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_(database_server)
http://www.firebirdsql.org/
I don't think it has anything to do with MAGIX Photostory
Not really sure about any security issues
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 berkeley

berkeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Wow, those sites definitely have a ton of information about it on them! Unfortunately, I have to admit that I really don't understand most of it! So it seems that if it actually is a database associated with our software then deleting it would not be a good idea. It doesn't cause any problems that I know of, I just wish the websites had some sort of FAQ about security.

Thank you very much for the sites, though. Any information at all is helpful.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

Firebird prior to version 2.1 is vulnerable to several issues, including
connecting to the database as "SYSDBA" user with no password required.
If the server is on the internal network with no access from the 'net it is
reasonably secure. Update to the latest version if possible.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 berkeley

berkeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

Oh okay, well it has Internet access and so does every computer that it is networked with, so I better try again to get in touch with the MAGIX people and find out which version this is. We don't have any more info on it other than what I listed in the subject, so I need to find out what's possible there.

Thank you! Now I have a direction!

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

I want to clarify "internet access". I understand that the office computers
can access the web. Specifically what i meant was, does Firebird allow connections
from outside the office. Example: if you had another office across town and they
used the same database. If you are a small business/single office Firebird should
have been configured to only accept connections from the local network.
It looks like Firebird can not be "updated". You must purchase a new version.
Hope this helps.

P.S. Looking at the Magix site, it appears that only mp3maker (Music Manager) uses Firebird.
For a simple test, temporarily shut down Firebird. Open PhotoStory, do some stuff and save.
If you don't get any "database" errors it "should" be safe to remove Firebird.

rawsig.png

#7 berkeley

berkeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

Oh, I see what you're saying - we are a single office small business. I did find that the version of Firebird we have is 2.0.0.1. We don't use the mp3maker at all, so hopefully we will be able to work without it. I will try what you suggested.

How would I go about temporarily shutting down the database?

Thanks for the help!

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Windows XP - Firebird running as an app:
Should be a yellow/black tray icon. (near the clock)
Windows XP - Firebird as a service:
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del, find fbserver or fb_inet_server and End Task.
Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

#9 berkeley

berkeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

I tried to do the 2nd option, because there is no icon near the clock for that, and there is not a listing for fbserver or fb_inet_server or anything at all with "server" in it? Is it a bad idea to uninstall Firebird and then doing something in Photostory and checking for database errors? I could always just uninstall everything MAGIX and reinstall from our disk.

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

Not a bad idea, just not the most elegant. Since you have the disk you can always reinstall.
As I pointed out before, I could not find any documentation that links PhotoStory to Firebird.
Only Music Manager. I am not familiar with these programs and can not find any info beyond
Firebird just cataloging the MP3 info in the database.
Firebird might only start when Music Manager (mp3maker) is started. It could be installed,
but not running at all.
Try this before uninstalling FB. Start the Music Manager and then check Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del)
for fbserver or fb_inet_server.
If it's not running at boot or when MM is running I would say it's safe to uninstall.

rawsig.png

#11 berkeley

berkeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Great. I will try that. I appreciate your help. I have no idea what I'm doing with these computers here, but as the youngest I'm the supposed "tech" person by default, so the good thing is that I'm only interested in getting a resolution however ungraceful!!

Thanks again!

#12 Mister T

Mister T

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

I see this is an older topic but I'll add a brief reply in case it is helpful to to others. To the best of my knowledge, all or most newer Magix products silently install the Magix edition of firebird server alongside the primary application. I believe it is used to link user-specific on-line content and possibly to facilitate the Magix screenshare feature. As long as your use of any Magix programs installed on your machine are not used for on-line screen sharing and are not dependent upon additional web based content you might have purchased through Magix, it should be safe to uninstall the Magix edition of firebird server. After uninstalling you will notice that the running process FABS.exe no longer appears in task manager. If you determine that the removal of firebird server has effected the functionality of a Magix program, reinstalling the program will reinstate the firebird server and all should be well.

Edited by Mister T, 19 September 2010 - 08:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users