Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Connect/Disconnect/Failed to Connect sounds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zigzagtag

Zigzagtag

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Running Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

Problem:

I am hearing the Device Connect, Device Disconnect, and Failed to Connect sounds at random times, sometimes 2 minutes to 10 hours apart. No error window pops up when this event occurs, nor do any event logs record anything out of the usual when these events occur. It does not appear to be connected to any specific program or application that I run.

I have scanned my computer with multiple virus scans and malware scans. I have observed firewall connectivity and it appears that whatever is causing it is not trying to connect to the internet. I have full confidence that it is not an infection. I have also reinstalled the OS and applied the updates, but the problem is still there. I have done a driver check on all the hardware and all drivers seem to be in order.

To me, this is truly a phantom problem that has driven me to wits end. I apologize if the information seems lacking, but to be honest it's pretty much all I konw about this problem. I would be greatful for any comments or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

What do you have connected to your USB ports?
What are the settings in your Control Panel to control the activity of the USB ports (in particular, any settings that sleep/disable that device when it's not being used).

The easiest thing to do is to disconnect all your USB devices and only connect them when using them. Also, follow the Safely Eject Hardware protocol when removing them from the computer.

Edited by usasma, 24 February 2009 - 07:37 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Zigzagtag

Zigzagtag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

So simple but yet so very wise. I've looked at my USB connections, which consist of a mouse, keyboard and printer, and it would seem that the printer USB connector is tad loose. I'll disconnect it and monitor the situation.

#4 Zigzagtag

Zigzagtag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

After monitoring it all day I'm sure that was what the problem was. It didn't occur to me to check them becuase the all the hardware was working fine. Thank you usasma, I greatly appreciated your help!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

I almost got rid of my color laser printer because of this. The USB port appeared loose and I had difficulty accessing the printer. Turns out that the high quality USB cable that I'd purchased had a large rubber housing that wouldn't let it plug all the way into the printer. Whittled some of the rubber away with a pocket knife and it works fine now!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users