Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

115GB Limit?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CriticalityEvent

CriticalityEvent

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

I'm going nuts trying to figure out what's up with my system. I've been reading nonstop about a 137GB limit, so I don't know if my 115GB limit is even related.

I recently upgraded my hard drive from a PATA to a SATA (1TB Seagate). After running all the Windows XP (Pro) updates, I am now up to SP3. Some of the 137GB articles said that the problem can be overcome by installing SP2, but that didn't solve the issue for me. Other sites suggested updating my mother board's BIOS, no luck there. I have the old 3.5" floppy that came with my motherboard with the Intel Application Accelerator 3.0 RAID driver, but the floppy won't install (kept getting an error with the F6 method) so I tried the file that's being distributed on Intel's website. Whenever I try to run it, it says "Incompatible hardware. This software is not supported on this chipset. Please select 'YES' to view the Readme File for a list of supported products. Refer to section 2 titled 'System Requirements'."

I think that last part is where I'm getting tripped up. There's a Pentium 4 processor requirement (which I have), then a controller requirement: one of Intel® 82801AA, 82801AB, 82801BA or 82801DB. When I look under the Device Manager, I open up the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" tree and see "Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers." Do I need to find a RAID driver for that controller? I can't seem to dig one up if that's the case. Will my motherboard even support this hard drive?

Summary of hardware:
ST31000340AS - 1TB Seagate HDD
D875PBZ - Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHZ
1.50GB DDR-400 RAM

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:03 AM

That's a sata 2 drive, some chipsets require you to change a jumper forcing sata 1 mode

Does device manager see it?

What about disk management?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

SP1 included a 48-bit LBA which took care of the 137GB limitation, it you installed a hdd over this size without SP1 or greater you will only be able to see the 137GB.

That motherboard does support SATA, but you need to install the SATA drivers for that board.

Configuring the BIOS

Close your computer case and restart your computer. Your computer may automatically detect your new drive. If your computer does not automatically detect your new drive, follow the steps below.

1. Restart your computer. While the computer restarts, run the system setup program (sometimes called BIOS or CMOS setup). This is usually done by pressing a special key, such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 during the startup process.
2. Within the system setup program, instruct the system to auto detect your new drive.
3. Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer restarts, it should recognize your new drive. If your system still doesn't recognize your new drive, see the troubleshooting section on the back of this sheet.
Note: Serial ATA is a new interface type. Some older systems may see the drive and classify it as a SCSI device if you are using a Serial ATA host adapter. This is normal even though this is not a SCSI disc drive. Many systemsí BIOS will not identify a Serial ATA drive connected to a PCI SATA host adapter. This is because a PCI SATA Host Adapter has its own BIOS which is used to identify hard drives connected to it which is separate from the BIOS of the computer. To determine whether or not the SATA Host Adapter is detecting the Serial ATA hard drive, please consult the documentation provided by the Serial ATA Host Adapterís manufacturer. This does not affect drive performance or capacity.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Link for your mobo: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/
Here's a link for the drivers for that mobo: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Res...4&submit=Go!
You may have to install #5 in addition to #4 in order to get it to work (#5 isn't required if you have SP2 installed).

Interestingly, the data sheet (here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/5831/eng/IAA_Readme.pdf ) states that it should be an 82801ER controller (rather than the 82801EB that you mentioned in your post. This could be due (speculation on my part) to a corrupt/absent INF installation on your system. So, I'd suggest installing #2 first (from the downloads page above).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

Does your hard drive have this jumper?
Chewy

#6 CriticalityEvent

CriticalityEvent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

That's a sata 2 drive, some chipsets require you to change a jumper forcing sata 1 mode

Does device manager see it?

What about disk management?

Thanks! I never thought to check Disk Management (by that you meant Run->compmgmt.msc, right?). It actually DOES show 931.51GB with 803.52GB "unallocated." I also tried the jumper, but it was already on SATA 1 mode. For the heck of it, I tried SATA 2 mode, but no luck.

Interestingly, the data sheet (here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/5831/eng/IAA_Readme.pdf ) states that it should be an 82801ER controller (rather than the 82801EB that you mentioned in your post. This could be due (speculation on my part) to a corrupt/absent INF installation on your system. So, I'd suggest installing #2 first (from the downloads page above).

I tried installing the new INF files, but again, no luck. Thanks for the advice though.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dman.JPG   77.08KB   5 downloads

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

It actually DOES show 931.51GB with 803.52GB "unallocated."

So allocate it
Chewy

#8 CriticalityEvent

CriticalityEvent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

So allocate it

The thing is, I want to all be one large partition. How can I merge all of it into one single 1TB partition? I tried deleting the 12.79GB partition, but got a Logical Disk Manager error.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

It would have been best if you had slipstreamed sp3 into your cab files from the sp1 disk and made a new cd

However we have a brand new tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/
Chewy

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

So allocate it

The thing is, I want to all be one large partition. How can I merge all of it into one single 1TB partition? I tried deleting the 12.79GB partition, but got a Logical Disk Manager error.

I would actually partition it, keep your OS on a smaller partition, and all your files on 1, 2, or 3 larger partitions, that way if you get a virus or something along those lines you still have a chance of saving your files.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 CriticalityEvent

CriticalityEvent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

It would have been best if you had slipstreamed sp3 into your cab files from the sp1 disk and made a new cd

However we have a brand new tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/

That did it!!! Oh man, thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users