Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp home update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slacker

slacker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Hi all!!

I am having trouble getting windows updates to download and install. I am using a Dell B130 laptop with windows xp home sp3. I can connect to internet (use IE7) and can download and install other types of updates from other web sites (like drivers and bios) without problems. The difficulty occurs when I try to go to the windows update web site. Sometimes the website will load quickly other times it won't load at all. It does not seem to cause IE to stop responding.

When (if) I make it to the windows update site, the site checks for current update software, shows the list of current updates and then shows the download and install box. All of that seems to proceed normally. However it stops there and does not download anything for several minutes. After a period of time, it flashes a few update titles in the box but then shows that all the updates failed to download and install.

I have tried updating drivers, bios, virus scan (mcafee), dial-a-fix and cleaning temp folders, browser history and cookie. None of that seems to help. So if anyone has a thought or idea, I would appreciate your help very much.

Thanks
Slacker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You might take a look:

Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Prolem Updating Via Windows Update - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/155133/problem-updating-via-windows-update/

Louis

#3 slacker

slacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hamluis:

Thanks for the tips. However none of the suggestions there seem to have worked. I still get to the download box and the process stops. After a period of time, the box says the updates failed to install.

Still need help!!

Slacker

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

Hmmm...you can try following the procedures here. You will have to look up the log data.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...pdate-site.html

Another line of thought involves modifying the Hosts file, http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...ndows-upda.aspx

Louis

#5 slacker

slacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

still no luck....it seems the BITS service will not start. Not sure why. I can't get it to start for manual or automatic. I thought that it was because of SP3, so I uninstalled that but it didn't work.

still need help

Thanks
Slacker

#6 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

When you say the BITS service doesn't start, does it give you an error?

You could try Dial-a-Fix :thumbsup:
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#7 slacker

slacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

I GOT IT!!!!!!!! Found an article (http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/background-intelligent-transfer-service-will-not-start/) that detailed a solution. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Thanks
Slacker

#8 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

Glad you got it working! :thumbsup:
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#9 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

G;ad you started this topic, as it was just what I needed. Some malware seems to infect all download mechanisms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users