Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BigBadBrand

BigBadBrand

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

Here's my situation.

Yesterday I had purchased ATI Radeon 9200, assuming it would work on my computer. The requirments said the folllowing:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
*Intel Pentium 4/III/II/Celeron
AMD K6/Duron/Athlon/AthlonXP or compatible with AGP 2X
(3.3V), 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8V) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration
(2x/4x/8x)
*64MB of system memory
*Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
*DVD Playback requires DVD drive

OS SUPPORT
*Windows XP
*Windows 2000
*Windows Me
*Windows 98/98SE

Memory Configuration
128MB of DDR memory

And that's what the box says, my specs seem to fit it. Here they are:

P4 1.70GHz Proc
1.256GB of DDR RAM
2X HD 40GB, and 60GB
Mobo Intel D845WN

So, me being a n00b at this, am now completely stressed. I had removed my old graphics card, uninstalled the display driver and stuck in the new one, and intstalled it's driver. So all fine and dandy, I figure, yay, I got l33t graphix now. But no, I fire up all my games just to see the blue screen of death, then to be rebooted.

I have no idea what the "2X 4X 8X" thing is, so I'm going to give you the most info I can on my computer.

Here's my motherboard http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-D845WN_P4_PGA4...CI_CNR_SND_10Pk
And according to that, my mobo is AGP 4X 1X compatible, which is what I'm reading. But the box for the Radeon 9200 card says 8X/4X so is somthing wrong with my mother board?

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? Any tips would be appreciated...I still got the recipte, so don't be scared to break the news to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hello BigBadBrand and welcome to BC

According to Intel on this Intel® Desktop Board D845WN page, your AGP slot only supplies 1.5 Volts to the card.

Another issue could be your power supply. How many watts is it? Those cards can draw a lot of power and you may have to upgrade that too.

Your manual is here. Page 60 shows the Video configuration in the bios. The Primary Video Adapter needs to be set to AGP and it should show a 2X or 4X card beside AGP Hardware Detected if the card is being recognized.

Edited by Leurgy, 04 June 2005 - 05:50 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users