Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

Anyone have Yahoo! as their ISP like I do?

They've recently changed their free firewall and antivirus service from Norton to McAfee.

Ever sense I've installed McAfee IE has been freezing up, a lot. I've uninstalled McAfee and it took a few restarts to get my PC to work decently without IE freezing up but it does seem to be working now.

Has anyone else had this experience with McAfee?

I have followed some recommendations I found in a PC magazine instructing how to set up Windows firewall to include blocking outward bound info and then including exceptions. That's what I'm using right now for my firewall along with AVG as my anti virus, that seems to be working for now.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make McAfee work and/or what free firewall programs may be better than Windows' firewall that you can recommend from experience I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

Edited by Johnz414, 23 February 2009 - 10:04 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Security products are not one size fits all. What works for one person may not work for you. It's possible that McAfee simply didn't play nice with your system, and that caused IE to freeze. You state that IE works after the uninstall, so my guess would be your computer didn't like McAfee.
I tried McAfee once-it made my machine crawl slower than a turtle. My son-in-law tried one of the big name products a couple of years ago (can't recall which one, but I do know it wasn't McAfee or Norton). My daughter called me because her computer was really slow, and after asking her some questions, told her to uninstall the program. Problem solved.
My point is that you need to find what works for and with your system and realize that just because it is a big name it isn't guaranteed to make everything run smoothly.
If you want to get rid of Norton, there are some excellent free firewall and antivirus programs. A list of them can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html Try one and if you don't like it, choose another one. You need to find something that you are comfortable with, something easy for you use and configure.

If you want to purchase a program, do some research and narrow it down to a few. Then go to the websites of the programs and see if they offer a free trial. Install it, use it, evaluate it. Find out how if it affects performance. If you don't like it, try something else. Spend your money on something you know will work, rather than find out it doesn't after you pay for it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 February 2009 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users