Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 honeycutt

honeycutt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Yesterday I got a hi speed int connection and set up a Dell Dimension8200 a friend gave me. Everything appears to work just fine except the sound. None. I know the speakers work, I use them with my Ipod. Knowing very little about computers, I restarted it and got same results. I then went to the controlls from the start icon and found a number of sound/ audio/ volume related prompts, tried them all and was unable to do anything because i was being told there was no device. For hrs I went thru all the offered troubleshooting suggestions windows XP help program told me to. No sucess. "Codecs" all funct properly, "Drivers" all funct properly accorrding to the help program and the "wizzard" but I cant adjust any of the volume settings and am left with no sound. Im assuming the"codecs" are the headphone size ports that my speakers plug into. I tried em all to make sure I didnt have the wrong one. I'm fairly certain thats how I connected the speakers on my last pc. Any suggestions?

Still typing with two fingers,
Honeycutt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

You need the audio driver. This is the page for all of the drivers for your model
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=
Unfortunately, for audio you have 8 choices so we have to dig a little deeper.
On the back of the tower there are some sticker. Underneath the barcode on one of the stickers will be a service tag number, which is what we need.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 honeycutt

honeycutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

the sticker on the back of the tower DDLKZ01. thanks for your help on the matter

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Well, that didn't narrow it down any. Let's try something else
Open your Device Manager and click on the + by Sound. Right-click on Audio Controller and select properties and tell me what it says

Just so you know, the memory for this computer is RAMBUS RAM
It is ridiculously expensive so I wouldn't plan on upgrading it

Edited by garmanma, 25 February 2009 - 09:44 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users