Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal/External Hardive - Backup purposes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cardfan09

cardfan09

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

I have been looking around for the following...

5.25" mounted harddrive bay that includes an enclosure for a 3.5 hard drive that is hot-swappable. Plan is to use one internal harddrive that is 1TB in size for backup and then use the hot swappable enclosure to take offsite as a backup to the backup.

The hard drive should be an a enclosure that uses usb and eSata externally so it can be used on another computer. I've been able to find this solution using a 3.5 bay w/a 2.5 hard drive ...unfortunaty capacity for 2.5 is not the same as a 3.5 drive. I've come close, but nothing I've found is what I needed. Closest I've found requires to turn off host computer, I have several users on the host and don't want to interupt them.

I could always go with an external drive that uses eSata but the computer does not have a eSata port and would rather stay away form cords unless needed on a secondary computer.

Short N Sweet...

plug drive into bay, double click batch file to copy files, remove drive and go home

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

I haven't found a use for hot swappable devices in most systems that I've worked on - plain old USB does the job whenever I've needed it.
I recently setup a system with Server 2003 that uses multiple USB drives for the backups - to include one that's to be stored off-site.

Since it's a backup that runs at a pre-determined time you'll have a good idea when the backup should complete - so speed doesn't seem to be an issue.
Then, you can just "Safely Remove Hardware" to remove the drive and transport it to another location.

FWIW - I gave up on this at my wife's office a couple of years ago. I now use pcAnywhere to backup the work system from my home computer (actually, I backup the backup that's stored on a second computer in the office). Once setup with the proper port forwarding, Scheduled Tasks, and backup software I don't even notice that it's running and have to remind myself to check the backups periodically (just schedule a task to remind me to do that!). In case the external IP address changes, I'm notified of that change by an IP monitoring program that emails me when it changes.

Then there's no need to lug anything around - and that backup is saved in an off-site location in case the building goes up in flames.

Edited by usasma, 24 February 2009 - 08:40 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cardfan09

cardfan09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks usasma.

Need something a little faster than USB, backing up over 100gb -200gb of data, USB is too slow.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

Yep, you'll need faster than USB for that much! I do the online thing for 4-5 gB daily.
I can't recommend hot-swappable solutions since I don't use them.
Maybe you can post over in the Networking forum for others with more experience to see?
It's located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cardfan09

cardfan09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks again for posting ...will try the networking forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users