Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access Internet Options

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bodickey

bodickey

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I can't access my internet options page. I have run malware removal and spyware removal, and still no luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

Are you getting any error messages when you try to access Internet Options?
If so, post the exact message.

#3 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Yes. The message is:

"This option has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" End message.

I am the admin on this computer.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

Do you have Spybot installed? There is a known issue with Spybot that can restrict access to Internet Options.

#5 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

I don't have spybot installed, but I do have two other spyware and one malware program installed. I'll remove them and see what happens.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

There's probably no need to remove them. Everything I found mentioned Spybot as a possible cause. No mention of any other malware/spyware scanners that could be related to the problem.

Do you get the error message when you try to access from Tools at the top of the page and from Control Panel?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 February 2009 - 11:20 PM.

#7 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

I get the message only from top of the page when clicking tools. When I go into control panel, the hour glass appears for about 3 or 4 seconds and disappears. I have given it several minutes to load, to no avail. Also, there are two green check marks on the icon that weren't there before the problem started over two weeks ago.

Edited by bodickey, 24 February 2009 - 08:35 AM.

#8 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

Here's the log.

~Mod Edit - Log removed. This forum isn't designed to handle HJT logs. Please continue with current thread or post your log to the HJT forum - Thanks!

rigel

Edited by rigel, 24 February 2009 - 12:43 PM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

I had a suggestion for you but since you've posted a HJT log, I cannot make the suggestion. After posting a log, making changes could invalidate the log. Your log will be moved to Misplaced Hijack This logs forum by a moderator, and this topic will be closed.
After a HJT team member declares your system clean, if you still have the Internet Options issue, send me a pm.
I can get a moderator to unlock this topic and we will proceed with solving the issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 February 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

Please continue Queen Evie

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

Thank you Rigel.

Bodickey, When you go to Control Panel, the icon for Internet Options is there? If it isn't then you have a missing file. And you would have to do the reinstall of IE.

And if it is there:
Based on my research about this issue, a reinstall of Internet Explorer may solve the issue. At this point, it's worth a try.
IE7 can be found HERE: Microsoft IE7 Download

If you use IE6, install 7.

Save the file to your desktop. UNINSTALL IE7 currently on you system, reboot, then reinstall.
After another reboot, see what happens when you try to access Internet Options from Tools.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 February 2009 - 01:20 PM.

#12 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I think that a group policy restriction is in effect. In case you don't know Group Policy is this great software in xp that can be used to change many settings in xp. So it also has an option for network in it are many options there that when enabled can prevent a user to access some place in the computer. So go to start menu,then run and tyoe gpedit.msc. A new window will open. Go to user configuration and administrative templates and then to network. And there would be a bunch of settings so look for any that might be preventing you to access internet options and that if that restriction is activated so disable it if it is enabled. Also you might also want to go to computer configuration and then administrative templates and then to network and search there as well just to make sure there is no setting that's inhibiting you to access internet options. Also try accessing internet options from the control panel. Go to control panel then switch to classic view if you haven't so and click internet options. It might work from there. Also if you do reinstall your IE then try to get the latest version as it might contain fixes that might have fixed this issue.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

Edited by genius12, 24 February 2009 - 05:58 PM.

" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#13 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I got the message "Windows cannot find gpedit.msc".

#14 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Thank you Rigel.

Bodickey, When you go to Control Panel, the icon for Internet Options is there? If it isn't then you have a missing file. And you would have to do the reinstall of IE.

And if it is there:
Based on my research about this issue, a reinstall of Internet Explorer may solve the issue. At this point, it's worth a try.
IE7 can be found HERE: Microsoft IE7 Download

If you use IE6, install 7.

Save the file to your desktop. UNINSTALL IE7 currently on you system, reboot, then reinstall.
After another reboot, see what happens when you try to access Internet Options from Tools.

It's there. I will try and reinstall IE7.

#15 bodickey

bodickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

I went to control panel and uninstalled IE7. I then tried to access internet options, and it worked. A window for stopzilla popped up, and internet explorer re-appeared. I did not re-install IE7. Internet options now works, and I have internet explorer re-installed without having installed it myself. Weird. I checked for the current version of IE that is running on my computer, and it is now IE6.

Edited by bodickey, 24 February 2009 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users