Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo Keeps coming back, not sure what to do

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sgobin

sgobin

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

Vundo Keeps coming back

Hi,
I was forwarded from "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203107/after-windows-update-multiple-program-errors-pc-restarting-on-its-own/" to post here.... That thread kinda died... anyway...

Over the past month I've found multiple instances of Vundo, and things seem to be getting worse.
Every time I try to clean my system, Vundo keeps coming back - even if I dont do any browsing.
Most recently, i've been experiencing applications freezing (Firefox, McAfee, Warcraft3)
The system has also crashed mid-scan using McAfee several times, but not lately.
I'm unsure if these problems are related to the Virus or other system issues - I figure get rid of the virus first and troubleshoot the rest later.

My system is fairly new (Dec 08), it came with McAfee Enterprise installed. I also installed the free version of Spyware Doctor on my computer.
Neither of which seem to be able to remove the Virus, and at times can not even detect it.

I've started to notice that sometimes McAfee is disabled after restarting the computer; I hadn't changed any settings for that to occur.

I've tried using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well as SUPER Anti-Spyware, both of which are doing a better job of finding and clearing traces of the virus (compared to McAfee). Also tried VirtumundoBeGone and in haste, ComboFix.

VirtumundoBeGone found no traces, and Combofix didnt do anything noticable.

Please help!
Let me know if there are any logs or reports you need me to post!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

Well the best we can do is get an MBAM and perhaps a SUPER Anti-Spyware log to start with.

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sgobin

sgobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

This is the most recent MBAM scan log.
There is only once instance detected, usually there are more, closer to 15. I will also include the Super Antispyware log in another post

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1804
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2009-02-25 18:03:13
mbam-log-2009-02-25 (18-03-13).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 71093
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by sgobin, 25 February 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#4 sgobin

sgobin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

The quick scan using SuperAntispyware found nothing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users