Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy and Paste complex graphs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scitalis

scitalis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:39 AM

Hi Grinler
Regarding cut and paste, does it only perform the simple tasks you define, or can it be made to do more complex manipulation of text? For example, I would desperately like to be able to create files and folders for the purpose of comparing information gathered from various sites. Many times such info is in the form of a graph or picture. I'm having much difficulty copying complex graphs, and suspect it is not possible.
Simple graphs seem to work, if they only have one font and uniform line styles. But graphs with multiple fonts and sizes, and multiple line styles and thicknesses paste up all scrambled, abstracted.
Also, at times I have tried to copy half of a graph that is divided vertically down the middle. But there seems to be no way to keep the highlighting from crossing the vertical center line and highlighting the undesired text on the other side, to the texts termination at the margin.
So is any of this possible, or is it just meant to handle simple tasks only?
Thanks
Scitalis

(mod edit: moved from Tutorials to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 04 June 2005 - 01:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:24 AM

What is the source from which you are copying these grapfs and the destination application to which you are pasting these? If you are copying to MS Word, try using "paste special" instead of the simple paste.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 06 June 2005 - 11:25 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 scitalis

scitalis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

Hey John

Thanks for following up. I'm copying graphs from web sites (IE) and pasting to notepad.

Below is an example of a graph I copied. As you can see, it does not paste-up in graph format. At least in this environment it is organised. In notepad it is all scrambled up. URL for graph is : http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi

Texas Ammunition Company
Shopping Cart Contents (nothing is final until you submit your order)
item description unit price u/m qty cost adjust quantity here
40 S&W 180 Gr JHP [50 RB] $21.95 ea. 1 $21.95 change qty
then click

Continue to Shop
Refresh Display
Go to Checkout
Empty your Cart
Order Subtotal: $21.95 You must be 21 years old to order ammunition. If you are not a registered customer or have not registered on line, your order will not be processed until your age verification is received by us. To register online, follow the instructions in the "Terms of Sale."
Shipping summary
Box 1: 2.50 lbs. Shipping: $10.66
Click here to change shipping options.
Texas deliveries subject to $2.69 sales tax.
Shipping weight: 2.50
Shipping cost is estimated.
Orders will be confirmed via email.

UPS Ground [94536] Shipping: $10.66
Grand Total: $32.61

Minimum Order for Ammunition 50 Rounds. Smaller Orders Will Not Be Processed.

Thanks Again
Scitalis

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

Alas! Because the page required a shppingcard ID, I cannot get to it; could you provide another example that would be publicly accessible. Do you have a word processor availble to which to copy a complex graph?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

"Notepad" is a simple text only editor. It was not designed for graphs, charts, pictures, etc. In Notepad click on "Help" then "Help Topics" for an overview of what this editor will do.

Try using MS "WORD" or "WordPad" instead, or simply save the entire web page as a file.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 scitalis

scitalis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

Hello KoanYorel

Think maybe we're on to sumthin' here. Although results were unsuccessful for pasting to MS Word of Wordpad, your suggestion to save the whole web page seems to be working. That was a new one on me, but I figured out how to do it (File > Save As), and have done it a few times now successfully.
Muches Thanks
In return, let me offer you something that it's highly likely you already know. But even though you do know it, it will be fun just to throw it out on the table.
Right clicking on a file opens a menu with a short "Send to" list of default destinations. You can add more destinations to this list by first creating a shortcut to the desired new folder or device. Go to "Folder options" and enable "Show hidden files and folders". Go to "Documents and settings", and open the folder with your name on it. There you will find the hidden system file "Send to". Final step: drag the new shortcuts you made and drop them into the "Send to" folder

Thanks Again
Scitalis

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

:thumbsup:

Glad part of it has worked out for you scitalis.

And thanks for sharing your tip with others here also.

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users