Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ponzio

Ponzio

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

As of last night at 10 pm I get no video on my Samsung 910r intermittently.

I have an ATI Radeon X1800-GTO thatís worked fine for the last 3 years. I opened the case, reseated the video cables on monitor and the card and still nothing; two attempts later, voila!, Iím back in business. But it was acting up this morning and now when I came home itís still acting balky. The fan seems to be running fine and the card doesnít seem unduly hot. My biggest fear, other than the card having loose solder contacts on the board itself or at the video cable connectors, is that my MoBo PCI slot is bad [GIGABYTE P35C-DS3R].

Is there anything maintenance wise that I can do to troubleshoot and repair this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

Try a different video card?

Louis

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

Are you saying the video keeps cutting in and out while using your computer? Are you sure it may not be loose connections from the video cable or to the monitor. Also, I've seen a few VGA cables go bad before.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Ponzio

Ponzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

hamluis: Don't have a spare video card but i'm already shopping for one [any recommendations? i don't play video games but i do go on Hulu or watch movies on Netflix quite a bit, via IE].

Sterling14: No it's not cutting in/out; when i turn the PC on I get no display whatsoever. Didn't think of the VGA cable but i'll pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks for the response guys.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

Doesn't the X1800-GTO have a connection to the power supply ?

How "big" is your power supply ?
[How many Watts ?]

I have a X1800 XL in this one.
I killed 2 450 Watt PSU's with it !
I got a 680 Watt PSU & have had no further problems & the video card works perfect.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

As a general practice, I keep a cheap video card around to assist in troubleshooting boot problems. Doesn't matter what type it is as long as it can function in the motherboard.

Louis

#7 Ponzio

Ponzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

fairjoeblue: I have PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad; so I don't think power is an issue.

hamluis: I swapped out the VGA cable [I had a spare that came with the card] like Sterling14 recommended but with no change. At that point I cleaned the contacts on the card and remounted and here we are. Hopefully she'll keep humming along but Iím not going to tempt fate, so I just purchased a GIGABYTE GV-N95TOC-512I GeForce 9500 GT on Newegg for $34, after rebate, as a spare. Even if my cleaning the card contacts & remounting the card do the trick, I agree with you that I should keep a spare around so I'm not caught flat-footed like I was this time.

I think it's time for another build anyway. I'm at the end of my 3 year cycle when things start to go bump-in-night [hardware/software]. Whether itís built in obsolescence or I just physically stress my machines out, it seems after 3 years things just start to fail/malfunction. Yes I could start replacing hardware & reload the OS but to be honest I neither have the time or the patience that I had when I was younger. Now the fun part, breaking the news to the missus. :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Good job, glad you solved it (at least, temporarily)...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

"fairjoeblue: I have PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad; so I don't think power is an issue."

Yep, I doubt power is an issue ! :thumbsup:

The reason I asked is I have had a few brought to me with newer video cards & weak PSU'e & the owner[s] wanted to know why their new video card doesn't work.

When I installed my X1800 XL, according to the requirements I read A 450 Watt PSU [or better] is required.
I had a 450W so I put the video card in.
Worked fine for a few days & then the unit shut off.
I determined the PSU had failed.
I had a better brand 450W handy so I put it in.
The computer ran fine for a few days & shut off.
I then bought a 680W PSU & put it in.
All has been well since.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#10 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

http://www.nvidia.com/object/buy_now_resul...id=GF9600GSO512

heres a great video card for you, you can watch movies clearly and if you want to play a game now and then you wont get bad lag. (games like cod4)

http://gezric.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/call-of-duty-4.jpg

it can run that pretty well

http://recensioni-videogiochi.dvd.it/image...-cry-2-03-l.jpg

can run this with small lag

http://resources.vr-zone.com/yantronic/Q4/...18-45-13-59.jpg

runs great with quake 4

http://www.nvidia.com/object/buy_now_resul...tml?id=GFGTX295

thatís the highest and top video card today can run anything with absolutely no lag and high detail

http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html
heres nivdias cards too

Edited by tylerisdabest, 24 February 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:01 AM

Good luck on the new build, I usually find the best deals on newegg. If I were you, Id do ATI, it handles HD better the nvidia so youll enjoy your movies more. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 Ponzio

Ponzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

You guys are great; thanks for all the good advice.

Iíll have to come back here when I start to build ďMonstroĒ.

BTW the new video card arrived today but the old card hasnít failed yet on 6 separate occasions I powered up.

Freakiní Murphy is up to his old tricks; not that Iím complaining mind you.

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users