Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find out if you are getting hacked?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

Is there any method to tell if someone is trying to hack into your computer while you are using the net? Maybe I'm getting a little jumpy here, but in the past hour, my internet connection broke off thrice for no reason, and when I looked up the firewall logs (Comodo), it showed 14 blocked intrusions. I switched off the modem and started up after a minute (and I did this two to three times); I have a dynamic IP, but still there were attempts from the same IP over a period of time. Now from what I know, someone who knows your IP can try to access your computer and do a port scan and stuff, but if my IP kept changing, how was that guy able to trace me every time? I already have Bitdefender Total Security running (with firewall disabled, cos Comodo is there), and I looked up the Task Manager to see if there was anything strange running, but there wasn't. And Comodo is reporting that it blocked those intrusions, but is there any way to find out if it failed anywhere?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Most likely just the internet noise. Most likely you just got an IP that few minutes before was used by some peer-to-peer and chatting, malware distributing, people and they don't know that this particular IP got disconnected and reassigned to you. After a while those attempts are likely to slow down to a stop. If you get a router, you'll never see that sort of thing, since these things aren't really addressed to you, the router will know it. But for now your firewall just filters them out.

#3 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hello,

You might find the following tutorials interesting:

Windows Forensics: Have I been Hacked?

and

Tracing a hacker

enjoy.....

#4 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

@ tos226:

I changed the IP many times, switched off the modem and restarted after about a minute, and still the problem persisted. As if that is not enough, right now, and at least eight hours have passed by now, when I connected, one of the IPs that was pestering me earlier was just blocked by the firewall - its one in China - 61.164.113.81, and the protocol is TCP.

So does it mean that someone has some kind of handle over my computer, so that every time I connect to the net, regardless of the IP, they know its me?

About the router thing, I don't understand all this much, but I thought mine was a router: I connect by PPPOE; earlier I used to let the modem save the password and there were very few firewall events then, but after I switched to saving the password in Windows and manually connecting, it is the firewall taking most of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users